R6 Message Net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...

I live up in Toronto, Canada and I decided to winterize my bike today. I was going to do the oil change, add some stabilizer in my tank, remove the battery...etc.

Well for the past week the weather here has been really cold we just had a snowstorm last Thursday and Friday. I haven't started the bike since about two weeks ago. So I tried today and she tried starting in the beginning but just cut off. The needle jumped everytime I tried starting her, the neutral green light and the left and right signals work when it's left on "on" position, and also my horn works just fine.

Can someone please tell me if the battery is just to weak to start the bike? If so can I jump start the bike using a car's battery? I've been reading some threads and some people says it's okay and some say it's not? If it is okay what is the proper way of doing it?

Thanks for all of youe help....

·
Registered
137 Posts
The proper way would to be slow charge the battery. Jump starting would also be okay but i dont recommend having the car's vehicle running. Meaning just use the car battery and not it's alternator.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BadR6man said:
The proper way would to be slow charge the battery. Jump starting would also be okay but i dont recommend having the car's vehicle running. Meaning just use the car battery and not it's alternator.
Thanks.

Do you mean just jump start it while the car is turned off right?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Buy a trickle charger from Canadian Tire for $30 and you'll be set... you can use it all winter to keep a good charge in the battery...:thumbup

·
#1 member
2,807 Posts
amazing. I've had my bike since feb 03 and never had a problem with the battery. starting the bike once a week is good for it. do it! the worst part about winter storage is the valve springs being held down by the cams. starting the engine will charge the battery, keep the internals of the engine lubed, circulate the water, and keep the valve springs from getting weak. they get weak because they are compressed for long periods of time. by running the engine you give them a chance of resting in a different position

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all of your help....

got her started by jumping while the car is off...now she starts no problem...

thanks once again!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Battery Tender, it's the only way

1 - 9 of 9 Posts