R6 Message Net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Givin you the business
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What brand battery charger do you guys recommend? Since I'm going to be gone for a five weeks, i figure i'll probably need it. Because there are a few times a year my bike doesn't get ridden for a month or a few weeks when my bike is at school and I am not, i guess i will just buy one.

Where's the best place to get one? How much should i expect to spend? etc. Thanks :hattip

·
Registered
135 Posts
Battery tenders keep a charged battery from running out of juice when it's not being used for long periods of time. (I've never used one, so I don't know if it also charges batteries)

But I think what you are looking for is a trickle charger... Most will charge a motorcycle battery in about 6 hours (or thereabouts)...

You can usually get one for about $50 at most auto parts stores.

In my experience you want to avoid a shock charger and get a trickle charger -- which will take longer to charge the battery, but will prolong the battery's life.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
The Battery Tender Jr will charge a discharged battery, but like many automatic chargers if the battery is TOO discharged it will signal that there is a fault.

At that point you bring the battery to a local autostore and have them hit it with 2 amps for about an hour, then bring it home and put it on the BTJr over night. If the battery really is bad (shorted / too sulfated) and can't be charged the store will be able to tell you right there as well.

FYI while you can use a 1.5amp Battery Tender (vs the Jr) it is more current than is specified (0.8a) for our batteries. 2 amps (common on most car chargers) is right out except for those cases where you just need to get some juice into the battery so the BTJr can take over without signaling a fault. The problem with using too much current is you overheat the battery and it outgases (yes even "sealed" can boil off but then can't be replenished) reducing battery capacity. It also never allows the battery to full charge since that requires ever lower current values to actually obtain 100% charge.

The BTJr can be had at most motorcycle and some auto parts stores for $25 and online.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i bought a everstart battery companion from wal-mart. it has a 1.5 amp trickle charge. i used it to charge my battery when it only had about 6 to 7 volts left. i let it charge overnight. it cost me $20.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
R62NV I know it seems like that 6amp charger is working just fine but really it is just too powerful for a battery the size of ours. Recommended charging current is 0.8amps. Anything more risks reducing battery life and will never fully charge the battery which again reduces life.

I realize chances are you aren't having to charge your battery all the time and if you were well ... you have bigger problems :) but seriously the right charger is the same price and can be left on the battery forever without hurting it.

I know I sound over anal about it, like oil hehe, but it is just something I've done a lot of research on because of past problems (some self-inflicted like running a motorcycle battery in my car to reduce weight and space for racing) and I've seen the results of folks just not even following the basics like charge rate, charging new batteries, etc. and somehow batteries know when the WORST time to fail is like when you are 100 miles from home, a store, a cell site, etc :O

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you haven't bought one yet, I wanted to suggest another brand to you.

I bought one at Sears (I can't remember if it is technically Craftsman or just Sears brand) and I love it.

I have two buddies that use the same one and I recently got one for my dad, too. All of them say that it works great.

There were so many off-name brands that were available, it was hard to choose. When I found the one at Sears and saw how well it is made, I decided to go with it.

Hope this helps!!!

·
Givin you the business
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. Unfortunately, the worker at Auto Zone said since there was no acid in it, she couldn't test it and it was probably useless. On top of that, i'm leaving for 6 weeks next thursday, so rather than buying a new battery just to sit, i'm going to buy a new battery when i get home in July. So no riding for me for a while :thumbdown

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
yeah there are a fwe off brand automatics out there that are good and the right current. They do operate a little different by actually shutting down once the battery reachs ~14.7v and then monitoring for it to drop below a certain voltage (it escapes me now) and then turning on again. It isn't as good as a true float mode that holds at like 13.7v and a few milli-amps BUT it still does a good job of topping off the battery and then maintaining it.

I have a 1.5a charger that works just like that which I use for my car and it works great.

go for it, should save you $10 too usually.

·
Givin you the business
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
man i have NO idea. But sure enough (excuse the lack of technical names) she unscrewed the little yellow plastic things on the top and said she didn't see any acid down there. There isn't any spilled in the battery well or on the swingarm or any place that i could see. It's the battery that was in the bike when i bought it, so I don't know the history. But becasue of rain, finals, moving back home for the summer, and general busyness i haven't ridden in about 3 weeks. At this point, I really don't care; after almost a year, i hope not to have this crappy bike for much longer anyway. :flame

Oh yeah in case you don't know, this isn't an R6. It's a 97 Katana. I don't want to re-freak people out about R6 battery leakage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts