R6 Message Net banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Just wanted to pass along a great trip experience along to the crew here on R6messagenet.

The ride began Friday June, 13th from Kansas City, MO around 5pm. I'm on my 03 R6 loaded up with tank bag and backpack strapped onto the passenger seat along with one of my best friends who rides a 2000 Ducati 900SS which sounds like a small block V8, amazing sound....... We roll out of KC on 71 south towards Joplin, MO and promptly begin to cruise between 80-90, funny thing is we were getting passed by a few cars and certainly had a whole crew of cars/trucks enjoying the elevated speeds to follow. I'd guess 40-50 miles out we come up on a what looked to be a Harley/cruiser doing 90 just rolling along weaving in and out of cars. What we thought was a Harley was a Moto Guzzi 1300 that we find out later was headed to Eureka Springs, AR just as we were.

We stop in Lamar, MO to look for a helmet net for my buddy as his is pretty worn out. We were worried about losing his bag but don't find one. The guy on the Guzzi stops with us to chat and mentions his bike is just now broken in with 54,000 miles on the ticker, impressive!!!! He said he has 2 bikes with over 100,000 miles.....anyway fun to chat with him and his son. We keep rolling and stop for a bite to eat in Carthage, MO at a Mexican restaurant, gas and then jump back onto the highway.

Once on the highway, we're about an hour and a half away and it's starting to get pretty dark out. All we can see is lightning (foreshadowing for our ride home) and big clouds. We're rolling along on 2 lane highways until we hit the MO/AR border. At this point, we're only about 25 miles away from Eureka on AR-23 and then we hit the twisties and FOG all over. We have to slow down to 20-30 mph and have a pretty hard time seeing the road in some spots but we make it into Eureka Springs about 10:30pm with fortunately no rain at all. Get to our hotel, then straight to the local liquor store for some beers to cool our butts from the ride. We do run past a Pub and check out the local scene which is nothing but disappointing for a Friday night had head back to the hotel to sit on the patio and enjoy the weather with a few cold ones. ~250 miles from KC to AR.

Saturday we had planned for about 200 miles in the NW Arkansas area and after looking at a couple of different maps and the internet, we decide on a ride titled "The Jasper Disaster." We leave after breakfast around 11:00 for a 56 mile loop from Harrison, AR with 332 turns, curves and elevation changes. IT WAS SWEET!!!! By far the best and most technical riding I've ever done. The twisties were in and out of the trees, beautiful scenery and perfect roads which made for a really nice ride. Weather was perfect as well with a just a few clouds in the sky with beautiful blue all over!

One word of caution, most of central Arkansas is Dry and so if you're looking for a drink to cool the pallet, you're not gonna find one in Central AR........

We make it back to Eureka around 5:00 having just finished the best ride I've ever been on. Scrubbed in the tires further than they had before and really felt good about the day.

We decide we're up for more riding and looking for a bite to eat so we decide to ride into Fayetteville/Springdale, AR for some Sushi. My sales territory is in this area so I'm familiar with the area so we ride the 60 miles one way to Shogun Steak and Sushi and have a great meal and ride back. The view at Shogun is amazing looking south into Fayetteville and even can see the U of A campus from a distance. Very enjoyable. All told, we end up riding approximately 300 miles on Saturday.

Sunday is basically riding home from a great weekend!! We roll out of Eureka Springs, AR around 10:30 and decide to take a slightly different route home for a change in scenery. We roll up through Kimberling City, MO and into Springfield, MO for a bite to eat at Buffalo Wild Wings. We leave BWW's about 2pm and are now very aware of the storms currently hitting the Kansas City area and know at some point we're probably gonna see rain. While in Springfield, my buddy buys at $3.00 poncho at Walmart preparing for the downpour!!!! =). We end moving towards this wall cloud that looks like it's pissed off at the world. We hit Oceola, MO and the water begins to pour down, luckily we hit a gas station that we can pull under until it passes. We end up staying inside at this small station, just me and my buddy and the lady working the counter for about a half hour. The rain finally slows to a semi-manageable rate and we hit the road. Rain riding at 60 still feels like the rain is coming down hard. The funniest part is my buddies poncho literally tears apart into small pieces within the 1st mile, chunks of plastic flying by. I was laughing pretty hard at one point cause it was some comical. We end up making it out of the rain and into clear skies 25 miles from KC and bring her on home without an issue.

All told, we ended up riding 840 miles in 3 days. Nothing like riding with a buddy, having fun being carefree for a couple of days in some of the best riding areas I've even been a part of.

Hope you enjoyed the story cause it was a blast. We're already planning our next adventure cause it was so much fun!!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
fancy finding this thread. i was supposed to head down to eureka springs, arkansas onthursday, but i am side-lined right now b/c my bike won't start. i was riding in the pouring rain last night, (coming from eastern ontario, canada) and the bike didn't like it too much and now it's protesting.

so this trip down is going to a wee bit later than expected. but it sounds like it will be worth the wait! :)

thanks for the entertaining and informative write up!

this will be my first jaunt down that way!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts