R6 Message Net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So frame sliders are meant to take pretty much all of the fall right? well in the case that you dont have them, the bike would fall over its own fairings and all, but wouldn't the plastics give somewhat of a bumper effect on the bike? what i'm saying is, since the frame sliders are pretty much an extension of the frame of the bike, wouldn't the impact really shake up the engine components and damage them? the energy of the impact would be damped out by the fairings much better than a frame slider.. i just wanted to make sure that getting them would be a wise investment

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
They are intended to protect the FRAME, nothing else. Depending on the speed of the crash and the reaction of the bike, i.e. flipping/sliding, the fairing will just break apart. The fairings willl in no way dampen an impact better then frame sliders.

·
Registered
154 Posts
here is my take on frame sliders...

low speed crash/slide- usefull for not damaging body work and other bike components.

high speed crash/slide- they are good for just sliding... if they hit anything, or they catch a pothole they will do more damage then good. but, in a high speed getoff, you cannot be relying on a $60 piece of plastic to save your bike. if the bike starts to flip end over end, you are done for....

that is my take. there are people on this board stricty for or against them, but i think for average situations they are a wise investment. of course there will be the odd situation where someone catches the slider on a tree and bends their frame, thus blaming the slider.... :myfault
they saved my r1 from catastrophic damage when i crashed a while back. when my friend sold it, the guy commented on how slow i must have crashed because there was minimal damage (i was going 70) :)

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
its personal for sure, but I will say that I will never have a sportbike w/o sliders.

They've saved me tons of money... the only ones I wont use are the swingarm sliders.. the bolt is too small and its easy to break off. (from experience)

·
Stock Tiip ARIO!
1,625 Posts
I put on every slider I could fit, barends,swing arm,clutch slider-the strongest slider on all, frame sliders. I droped the bike twice fronm a stop anf got scratches on the case, if i had sliders I'm sure their would be no damage except to the slider:wall

·
Registered
886 Posts
on my low speed 10mph slide my frame slider cracked off..

anyone know how this could happen

it was a protek slider.

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
It could've hung or just been defective. Remember gentlemen the cardinal rule of life, "Shit Happens!" Frame sliders are not a solution to crash damage, they are just there to help protect some key parts in certain types of crashes

·
my other hobby
714 Posts
Cever said:
It could've hung or just been defective. Remember gentlemen the cardinal rule of life, "Shit Happens!" Frame sliders are not a solution to crash damage, they are just there to help protect some key parts in certain types of crashes
yup yup:thumbup

·
Registered
886 Posts
i just thought it was weird how it just popped off like that.. at such a little wreck.. if it stayed on, i would have more money in my pocket.

·
Sacramento, CA
1,351 Posts
also, I have seen frame sliders with brackets that have done damage to the frame. Pretty much it left a nice imprint of the bracket on the side of the frame, hence undermining the integrity of how straight the frame was afterwards.

but then again, frame sliders =$60, fairings= $$$$ $100-$1000

·
student/pilot/boyfriend:(
3,174 Posts
Thrak said:
its personal for sure, but I will say that I will never have a sportbike w/o sliders.

They've saved me tons of money... the only ones I wont use are the swingarm sliders.. the bolt is too small and its easy to break off. (from experience)
Thrak I see where you're comming from about the swingarm sliders buddy. My Pro-tek swingarm sliders saved my swingarm. Now it could've been very different, they could've cracked the swingarm, just like a hit in the right place on a Frame slider could damage your frame. I will always have frame sliders, I'll cut the fairings if needs be unless I buy a Duc for the street, that baby isn't going to be touched and it will have full coverage.

For the track, get frame sliders.

·
Registered
64 Posts
the frame sliders with the aluminum base, ie vortex, have a probability of damaging your mounts (where the slider is attached). Three of my friends have tweaked / broken mounts because of the sliders. i believe because the aluminum base doesn't give and ends up bending the mount. so with that in mind, i only buy full delrin sliders, ie intuitive.

·
Registered
64 Posts
combatstang said:
on my low speed 10mph slide my frame slider cracked off..

anyone know how this could happen

it was a protek slider.

did you crash in dirt or gravel? this also happened to me with the intuitive silders. i low sided and slid into dirt and my sliders broke off. i think the sliders are meant to give when they're dug into the dirt. if they didn't give, then i there's a possiblity of bending / breaking the engine mount.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
When I got in my Hit and Run my sliders saved my ass! The damage was done but could have been 10 times worst. I had frame sliders and Swing arm spools and they both help when I was hit.....

·
Registered
886 Posts
gyea said:
did you crash in dirt or gravel? this also happened to me with the intuitive silders. i low sided and slid into dirt and my sliders broke off. i think the sliders are meant to give when they're dug into the dirt. if they didn't give, then i there's a possiblity of bending / breaking the engine mount.

dirt.. ur not the only one to say that..most say sliders break off in the dirt..

my old Intuitive sliders held up like a champ on my 60mph crash but that was on concrete

my proteks at 10mph or less was on dirt.

·
Dragraces too much
1,641 Posts
Sliders are win.

Don't think so? Buy a bike. Kick it over, pretending that you're a ****** pile of shit fucking pussy bitch fratboy cunt.

Then walk away from it. If you can do that, and it's your bike, you have sliders. Nice feeling, isn't it?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
fjman said:
Sliders are win.

Don't think so? Buy a bike. Kick it over, pretending that you're a ****** pile of shit fucking pussy bitch fratboy cunt.

Then walk away from it. If you can do that, and it's your bike, you have sliders. Nice feeling, isn't it?
:handclap

Sliders are like condoms...you can go without 'em and they'll never be 100% effective, but god damned if they don't do one helluva job protecting what's most valuable when the stakes are high.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'll take my chances with sliders. I just put some on the other night. Even if they break off during a crash as long as they take the inital impact it has saved your bike from taking the full impact. That alone is worth 60 bucks to me

1 - 19 of 19 Posts