R6 Message Net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Resident A-Hole
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading a post from another member, I got to thinking. Has anyone used the Color Rite touch up pens? How well do they blend? I've got a couple spots i'd like to touch up on my silver fairings.

·
Registered
759 Posts
if you know a lil about paint repair and such, it works great... i've used it on my car several times and fixes the scratch to the point where no one will ever know but me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i've used the touch up pen on quite a few scratches. there were a few nicks in my tank whenever i bought my bike that didnt touch up as well, but they still look a hell of alot better than they did. quality product.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have light rash not quite the size of a dollar on a spare set of farings. I didn’t do it.:myfault

I am thinking about springing for the spay can for a better touch up job. Will the spay can fill in light scratches or should I get a paint pen.

I have used touch up paint to fix scratches, but even though I used a oscillating buffing wheel, the job was never flat. Looked good, but I could do better

·
Resident A-Hole
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i wonder if you used the spray can, would you have to get clear coat afterwards?

·
Registered
88 Posts
riggz said:
i wonder if you used the spray can, would you have to get clear coat afterwards?
I've used the Color Rite spray cans. Nicest rattlecan's I've ever used. And yes, you need to clear afterwards. They sell that too.

·
Resident A-Hole
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Luna said:
I've used the Color Rite spray cans. Nicest rattlecan's I've ever used. And yes, you need to clear afterwards. They sell that too.
ah sweet. how much area did one can cover?

·
She actually bought it!
1,301 Posts
depends on how deep the scratch but you should finish with 2000 grit or higher

·
Resident A-Hole
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ive got just some mild scratches on my upper fairing. if i were to re-paint the whole thing, how much paint and clear coat would i need from color-rite?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Get Krylon PLASTIC FUSION.. U dont need no primer or nutin.. well u would if you was gonna do the whole bike but for a cover up just by that paint..

Get 400 sand paper

and 1600 or 2000

Sand with the 400 and move up until u see the rash is a smooth spot with just no paint..

tape off around the rash about half inch around it and block the ENTIRE bike or u will mess up your other paint job.. then in a left to right , move down left to right move down left to right motion spray the spot holdin the can about 6 inches away...

put 3 thin coats on let each coat dry for 20 min

if it needs more paitn give a lil more... Will look better then the rash..

·
Resident A-Hole
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^thanks for the detailed info, but im not tryin to do a ghetto cover up. im lookin to get my baby back in like new condition. and i'd definately be removing the fairing and sticking it in a lil home made paint booth before i painted it.

·
#1 member
2,807 Posts
riggz said:
^^thanks for the detailed info, but im not tryin to do a ghetto cover up. im lookin to get my baby back in like new condition. and i'd definately be removing the fairing and sticking it in a lil home made paint booth before i painted it.
then dont waste your time buyng a spray can.
dont try to blend the old paint with new in a large open area. because you may see it. you should repaint the entire fairing for the best results.

by time you sand out the scratches you will have a flat spot that will need to be built back up with body filler. unless the scratches are just in the paint.

if you have scratches in the clear coat only they can be buffed out by using rubbing compound.

·
She actually bought it!
1,301 Posts
i used the pen, works very well

·
Registered
345 Posts
Sorry for the thread ressurrection, I'm looking for advice using the color rite pen on a swingarm repair. Has anyone used the color rite touch up pen for swingarm paint, and if so how did it turn out? A buddy just bought a used 04 R6, and the only thing wrong with it is that it has a pretty thin 2 1/2 inch long scratch on the swingarm, and the pen looks like just the ticket, but I wasn't sure how well it would blend.

Does anyone have any tips for applying the paint pen to make it look good, less noticable, and more smooth? Thanks for any help.

Justin

1 - 17 of 17 Posts