R6 Message Net banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my ICON alliance helmet today in the mail and when I put it on I looked like damn DARTH VADER. The helmet looked so damn big and its a size small. I am only about 5'6 tall......Do ya guys know of other helemt companies that don't look so damn huge or are all the shells about the same size??????? Pleeeze help cuz I do not want to look like DARTH VADER on a bike!!!:myfault

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The alliance is just a big helmet all around. Arai, Shoei and Suomy all build smaller helmets in terms of feel and look (not fit necessarily) but are much more expensive. I would go to a shop to try some on, then go to ebay or an online store to buy. Nothing beats knowing exactly what you are getting when you buy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it is very hard for me to try on helmets cuz the shops around here have very little selection if none...I mostly can only order online... I had no idea that the ICON helmet was so huge... And like I said I wear a SM.... thanks for the feedback guys...so I guess I'll try an ARAI or Shoei........

·
Eli, please ban winter
5,768 Posts
If you have to buy online Arai is going to be harder to get a hold of. They only sell through dealers, which is nice to try them on, but a pain if you want to get good internet deals. I'd also say Suomy would be better, but I think either way you're still going to look like you have a helmet on (ie big head) because that's what they look like.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Don't worry about how you look on the bike. I doubt most will be able to tell since you'll be crouched over and the bike will be bigger in relation to your helmet...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have had other helmets before just not an ICON one. I was just wunderin if anyone else agrees wid me on the apearance size being so huge lookin for the ICON........Also does the suomy and arai shell look smaller by a noticable difference..............Sorry for these questions, its just I do not want to be ridin around lookin like I stuck a trashcan on my head...........

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
No its cool, i agree with you about the alliance...i believe that suomy and arai helmets do LOOK smaller on the head...i do not know that to be the actual case

·
Registered
230 Posts
Arai's actually have a big shell compared to others like shoei, hjc, and suomy. My arai corsair makes me look like a bobble head doll. My buddies who wear shoei definitely have a narrower shell but they don't necessarily fit all heads; me for example.

·
student/pilot/boyfriend:(
3,174 Posts
kpstoutz said:
Arai's actually have a big shell compared to others like shoei, hjc, and suomy. My arai corsair makes me look like a bobble head doll. My buddies who wear shoei definitely have a narrower shell but they don't necessarily fit all heads; me for example.
aRe you kidding, my HJC is fugging huge compared to my Arai. My Arai is big compared to my Vemar Carbon.

Suomy is for round heads, Shoei is for ovular shaped heads and Arai fits me perfect. Buy whay fits your head

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would buy what fits my head but unlucky for me I live where there aint crap to actually try on....That is why I am asking for everyones opinion about who makes a smaller shell as compared to an ICON helmet.....

·
Registered
538 Posts
The expectation would be that a helmet manufactured to the Euro ECE22/05 standard, like the Vemar menitoned in one of the responses, would be smaller, as it doesn't need as thick of a liner or shell to pass the impact testing requirements, which is done at a much lower velocity, and in a small, a much lighter headform weight, with the total energy being less than half of what a BSI or Snell helmet must withstand with higher velocities, weight, and multiple impacts. They would also be expected to be lighter. Of course all of that is at hte expense of energy absorption qualities that provide additional protection over a wider range of impact scenarios.

However, a helmet like the enormous Schuberth S1 goes against all logic as far as that is concerned. The Italian and French helmets seem to be using a thinner and denser liner, and thus smaller, lighter helmets. Shoeis seem to me to be on the smaller side, which is surprising for a Snell-approved helmet, but I guess it's all a matter of how they decide to manage the impact energy and ariflow, which can apparently vary among engineers. All in all, I would expect size to correlate to price, as the less expensive products are likely using the more widely available liners and shells, and current technologies that aren't on the cutting edge of packaging concerns. When you get into the ultra-cheap range, not only is packaging not as large of a concern, but neither is the safety standard, so you can end-up with a large DOT-only helmet, using less-expensive methods and design features within the liners and shells.

·
Registered
293 Posts
hjc have different shell sizes..

CL-14 has a small shell

AC-11 has a big and taller shell

Shoei XR1000 has a small and narrow shell

Suomy are round but not big

Shark RSR have tall but narrow

Shoei XR1000 and X-11 have the best shell size in terms of shape, height and width.. but not everyone's head goes into shoeis..

·
a.k.a LiquidR1
1,178 Posts
um, hjc small. compared to what. I have an hjc cl-14 and its fuckin huge. i hate it its so damn big looking. HJCs are by far nowhere near small. Im just to cheap to fork out $400-600 for a shoei or arai.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts