R6 Message Net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i posted in another forum but got no response as these helmets are not popular in the states. i found somewhere i can get them pretty cheap $157 US for a Radikal graphic. can someone give me a rundown on the good and bad points to their Radikal line? thanks!

·
Registered
492 Posts
my understanding is that they are made of formed polycarbonate (think of vacuum forming) in 2 halves, then bonded together. Same as most cheaper helmets IIRC.

Manufacturers like Arai/ Shoei/ etc. use a laminating (layered) process that doesn't have the innate weaknesses of the polycarbonate 2 halves and have greater all-over strength/ integrity in the event of a spill.

I've only ever used Arai, with the exception of my first helmet (an HJC AC-10) which was well built and fitted superbly until the liner collapsed after about 18 months of daily use. Incidentally, Arai don't suffer the same issues...

You get what you pay for... :thumbup

·
Registered
162 Posts
Buy the best helmet you can afford. I’d stay clear of the polycarbonate helmets as they transfer more energy to the head. Fibreglass tends to break and adsorb a little more energy.

I had a near fatal crash in April. My helmet was crushed from the impact and I had severe concussion that has taken over 6 months to heal. If my helmet was made from polycarbonate I’d probably not be here now.

I cant post an image, but here is a link to a pic:

http://racer.smugmug.com/gallery/643211/2/21630804

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Personally i would not pay LESS than £200 for a helmet for the reasons stated above.
I have a Shoei at the moment and love the fit and the piece of mind it might save my life.
Not only are cheap helmets a saftey issue but they certainly donot fit aswell as the more expensive ones.
Like everything in life you get what you pay for so if it means saving for another month to get the one you really want then do it.

Spike

·
Registered
14 Posts
you might want to look here: motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/hatz
maybe a helmet shell can be too stiff?
Jak

1 - 6 of 6 Posts