R6 Message Net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Woody Racing #409
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to start racing next year, but I wear glasses. I have worn contacts before but hated them (crazy dry eyes without even riding) and they just weren't comfortable plus they fell out a lot. I wear really thin frame glasses so it isn't a huge deal but I've heard a lot of people talk about how dangerous it is to ride with glasses on under your helmet. Any thoughts on the subject? I've had 1 small crash and one big one where i hit my head pretty hard and didn't have an issue. I'm only 18 and I think laser surgery isn't do-able until age 21 or something. Does anybody else wear glasses and race? Ever had any problems?

The one thing i do notice is that my lenses are the small rectangular type and they semi limit my field of view and occasionally they get a little crooked in my helmet (not enough to cause a vision problem but it is distracting)

·
I will not eat cat poop!
4,370 Posts
I wear glasses when I'm on the track. I don't have a problem.

The only thing that sometimes bothers me is that I find myself looking over the lenses when I am at full tuck behind the windscreen, but I just tilt my head up a little farther and it's fine.

I'd like to pick up a few sets of contacts for trackdays and give them a try, though. I used to wear them for baseball in HS and I liked them.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I wear glasses and have been looking into ways to get rid of them. I have noticed at the track that when I near 100mph+ my glasses start to shake. This causes my vision to get blurry. I have a stigmatism and have not been able to wear contacts. I haven't dug into surgery yet, but I have researched the better doctors to perform one if I can get it done. I am intrested to see if any racers wear glasses or contacts and what they do as well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
just a thought, maybe you get get goggles. i dont personally wear glasses, but some of my friends wore shatter-proof goggles that didnt fog or anything.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Tittys04 said:
just a thought, maybe you get get goggles. i dont personally wear glasses, but some of my friends wore shatter-proof goggles that didnt fog or anything.

How did they put their helmet on with goggles?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I wear thin wireframe glasses. My RX7-RR4 holds them in place, mostly, but to keep them from sliding forward when I tuck under the windscreen, I wear a 'Breathe-Right' strip; which also helps me breathe enough air through my nose on the track. The nosepeices of the glasses sit on that, and the glasses don't slide.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Inten_Z said:
I wear glasses and have been looking into ways to get rid of them. I have noticed at the track that when I near 100mph+ my glasses start to shake. This causes my vision to get blurry. I have a stigmatism and have not been able to wear contacts. I haven't dug into surgery yet, but I have researched the better doctors to perform one if I can get it done. I am intrested to see if any racers wear glasses or contacts and what they do as well.
I have a stigmatism and I use toric soft contact lenses. I wear them when I race. I just close off the bottom of the helmet to reduce the air flow inside. Ask the eye doc if you can wear those....

·
Banned
2,209 Posts
I wear contacts usually, or maybe my glasses when I ride. When I start doing track days next year, Im going to pick up a box of the new B&L Nike SightMax contact lenses.

http://www.bausch.com/us/resource/visioncare/soft/nike_maxsight_resfaq.jsp

Can you describe the two tints of Nike MAXSIGHT lenses and what makes them different?
The Grey-Green tint is designed for activities that occur in bright, sunny conditions. The Amber tint is designed for cloudy or variable light conditions.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Surely someone makes a prescription visor??? If not, there's a money making opportunity for someone, no?

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
iv:xx said:
Surely someone makes a prescription visor??? If not, there's a money making opportunity for someone, no?

Its too far away from your face, it'd make your vision all screwy

·
Registered
663 Posts
ive been wearing glasses for the last 18 years and really havent had problems with them. i dont race but have done several trackdays and it doesnt seem to bother me any. i've worn my contacts street riding but hard contacts dont seem to agree with riding. any slight piece of dirt and i water up bad and gotta pull over so i can see. its been a real pain wearing contacts and its not bad at all with glasses.

however, hopefully at the end of next month ill get laser eye surgery done. maybe ill get a new suspension after my surgery since its free... gotta love the ol' U S Air Force... :thumbup

·
Woody Racing #409
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sparky i got one the to say...

DAMN YOU!!!!!
lol j/k, the reason I said that is I had an AFROTC scholarship and was going to get the AFs surgery when I got out of college, then i lost my scholarship (damn DODMERB) so now no more free surgery

anyway good to hear all the opinions. I might try some other contacts at some point but for now I'll just stick with glasses. I'll check into a seperate pair for the track don't know if i can really afford ANYTHING right now. Actually I haven't worn my glasses for a couple of weeks and I don't even know how I'm going to get used to them again. Not having to worry about glasses is AWESOME! I broke mine a couple weeks ago and lenscrafters will replace the frames for free but they had to order the frames so I wouldn't have to pay for new lenses. Its taking forever to get them back in plus the 2 hour drive to pick them up because the lenscrafters in my town closed about a week before I needed new ones!!
i got really off topic with that didn't I, oh well

·
Registered
742 Posts
Thrak said:
Ah, never thought of that. :myfault

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I have no clue how you guys ride with your glasses. I dont even like to drive my car with my glasses, i cant imagine wearing them on the track. I wear night and day contacts. They never really bother me at the track, if they did I'll put in some Visine. I want the surgery, but gotta save up for that.

·
Registered
162 Posts
A problem soon to be possibly solved. A company named Diggi is testing a prescription visor.

The problem I see (pardon the pun) is that there's no way to satisfy the masses, as each person wears a different prescription. And what about the people that have different prescriptions for each eye (like me). They would have to custom make visors, thus making them really really expensive.

:2cents

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yeah, I have a different perscription per eye. I will have to look into some of the contacts made for Stigmatism. I would love to get rid of my glasses.

·
Rice Rocket
3,786 Posts
Inten_Z said:
what's that oliver dude that used to race in 250gp ama? all time gp winner? he wore glasses when he raced....his entire career and pretty damn successful at it

·
Rice Rocket
3,786 Posts
o ya, forgot to chime in...

ive been wearing glasses since i was 6....don't wear contacts, never have and don't see me wearing it in the near future either....never had problems on the track really...i guess it could fog if it started raining?

i've only done it once wearing those nose strips, i find it helps, a little uncomfortable...but its pimping just like rossi....lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts