R6 Message Net banner

Another turn signal question!!

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Ryan.S 
#1 ·
Ok so I've seen the posts about changing the signal relay and seen the posts about adding resistors. I did a Clear Alternatives tail light and changed the relay to the one everyone recommends and everything worked great. Now after almost a year of trying to get flush mounts that I like they came in and I installed them. Now the blinker comes on and stays on.

Is there a relay that someone has used that works with LED blinkers front and rear? Do I have to use the resistors now?

I'd prefer not to because I'd hate to forget to turn the signal off and start melting things. I'd also like to have as few extra parts on the bike as possible. Let me know if anyone has a clean solution to this problem.

#2 ·
Yeah Ive had the exact same problem. When i put the new turn signals on the front the signal indictors stay on. And last week i did end up melting my under tail slightly because my front left signal went out and the super fast blinking caused the resistors in the back to get really hot. Sorta freaked me out when i stoped and saw smoke, and could smell burning plastic.

#3 ·
Rodes said:
Yeah Ive had the exact same problem. When i put the new turn signals on the front the signal indictors stay on. And last week i did end up melting my under tail slightly because my front left signal went out and the super fast blinking caused the resistors in the back to get really hot. Sorta freaked me out when i stoped and saw smoke, and could smell burning plastic.
Yeah that doesn't sound good at all. So does anyone have a solution to this?

#5 ·
you wired it wrong! i did the same thing. there are 3 wires going to the front signals, and i'm guessing your new signals only use two. just start connecting different wires to the signals till it works right. in my case i think my ground was in the positive of the blinker, and the running light was hooked up to the ground or something like that.

#6 ·
if the relay you're using isnt recognizing the flushmounts its probably not enough current draw... try to find another variable load flasher relay, a libertek should work so should other ones, though the el12 which a lot of us use might not see the load

#7 ·
josh18_2k said:
you wired it wrong! i did the same thing. there are 3 wires going to the front signals, and i'm guessing your new signals only use two. just start connecting different wires to the signals till it works right. in my case i think my ground was in the positive of the blinker, and the running light was hooked up to the ground or something like that.
:kickinnut No I didn't!! They aren't on all the time. They just come on when I turn the signal on and go off when I turn it off.

I have the EL12 now and with LEDs front and rear there isn't enough resistance. The Libertek seems like it should work. Does anyone know of a cheaper all electronic flasher relay?

#8 ·
DownTown said:
:kickinnut No I didn't!! They aren't on all the time. They just come on when I turn the signal on and go off when I turn it off.

I have the EL12 now and with LEDs front and rear there isn't enough resistance. The Libertek seems like it should work. Does anyone know of a cheaper all electronic flasher relay?

Resistors from Radio shack, one lead wired into the positive and one lead wired into the ground. Only need two resistors, one for each side (circuit).

Thats how mine are done up. No problems, but I think I might go back to incandescent lights. LEDs are too hard to see to be safe....

#9 · (Edited)
mine was the same way when i wired it wrong- they were off, then when i turned on the blinker, they just turned on (no blinking). im telling you- just try the wires in every configuiration before you go pulling apart relays and stuff. (start with the easy solutions before trying more complicated ones)
you also need those resistors for the rear lights. i have integrated tails w/ flushmount front signals. i put on the tails first w/o the resistors. it flashes fast (fron and back) so i put in the resistors. everythig works normal. then i put on the flushmounts, wired them wrong, and the fronts would stay lit with the turn signal on. rewired the fronts, and now everything works as its supposed to.

#10 ·
josh18_2k said:
mine was the same way when i wired it wrong- they were off, then when i turned on the blinker, they just turned on (no blinking). im telling you- just try the wires in every configuiration before you go pulling apart relays and stuff. (start with the easy solutions before trying more complicated ones)
you also need those resistors for the rear lights. i have integrated tails w/ flushmount front signals. i put on the tails first w/o the resistors. it flashes fast (fron and back) so i put in the resistors. everythig works normal. then i put on the flushmounts, wired them wrong, and the fronts would stay lit with the turn signal on. rewired the fronts, and now everything works as its supposed to.
Green is the turn signal on one side, brown on the other, blue is running lights on both sides, black is ground. Trust me its right. I want to run no resistors at all. It looks like the Libertek relay is the way to go unless anyone knows of another all electronic relay that's cheaper? Thanks for all your help guys.

#11 ·
I had the same problem, resistors and the el12 flasher relay didn't help. I have clear alternative in the back and led's in the front. What i did was used the stock bulbs to make corner lights above the headlights, like the R1's used to, not sure if they still do. Since two sets of lights are running on the same circuit one be incandescent bulbs there is enough resistance now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.