R6 Message Net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... Tried the string method... don't like it at all... way too dificult and PITA... i've seen people using digital calipers to measure from the rear end of the swingarm to the center or sides of the rear axle bolts... seems close enough to me... any thoughts? (besides using the string method...)

I think I'm either going to try the caliper method or either making a little jig or buying one to measure from the swingarm pivot to the axle bolt....

I know neither of these methods are perfect but should get them fairly close.... ya'll's thoughts? any other options?

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
I use the markers on the swingarm...Accurate enough for me

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read too many times that those lines can be EXTREMELY inaccurate...

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
Never had a problem with em....Och mentioned once to me something about using a laser level somehow, but it sounded like a lot of extra work....kinda like using the string method

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well the accuracy of them can semi easily be checked by any of the methods... but I think i'm going to assume they are off... I'm just really not sure which method would be better.....

1) swingarm pivot measurement: http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produ...=223&productId=p282402&leafCatId=22308&mmyId=

or from the motion pro page: http://www.motionpro.com/new2005/products/080368.php

(this method assumes that your swingarm is straight in relation to the bike)

2) using a digital caliper or vernier (dial type) caliper to measure from the rear part of the swingarm to the center of the axle bolt...
(this method assumes that your swingarm is straight in relation to the bike and that the sides of your swingarm are equal in length (which is just about what your markings do exept that you are under the assumption that the stampings on your swingarms are accurately placed in addition to assuming that the swingarms are equal in length... which has proved to be not true numerous times))

·
Dragraces too much
1,641 Posts
First, the string method rocks.

That being said, it's a pain in the ass to use.

The swingarm marks are useless. May as well align it by eyeballing it if that's what you're using.

My personal way of doing it is an 8' flourescent (sp) lightbulb. Easy to get, just ask a maintenance man almost anywhere, and dead straight.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
still a pain in the ass b/c then you still have to align the front tire straight to the rear and then play the measurement game 4 times... then adjust the rear and keep trying...

i've seen people post the digital caliper way and the measuring way but no one says much about them...

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
I'll have to try the caliper out when I swap out my worn chain sprockets in the spring just to see how "GROSSLY INACCURATE" those marks are

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FarrOut said:
This is my preferred method... and Ive tried am all...:thumbup
You liked the Caliper method?

How well do you think it worked in general? how well as compared to the other methods?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I use the digtal caliper method. I measure the distance from the rear of the swingarm to the block the axle goes through. Seems to work really well.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
minig0d said:
You liked the Caliper method?

How well do you think it worked in general? how well as compared to the other methods?
Its the fastest and its just as accurate as the laser/string method... but as of late I can just eye it up and get it pretty close, as my bike was down more than a mexican hooker, so it was slightly tweaked anyways...

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I looked at the laser lines... I understand how most laser systems work in general because most shoot a laser on both sides of the rear tire onto a ruler type idea on front and the idea is to match the ruler measurements... but how the heck does laser lines compensate for the width of the rear tire vs the front... it doesnt seem to...

·
Fire Wrench Dammit!!!
3,322 Posts
Caliper here as well... Although, it seems to be accurate, it is sometimes a PITA to get a proper measurement w/ the way everything is angled and sticks out.

·
Eli, please ban winter
5,768 Posts
brassballs1979 said:
I use the digtal caliper method. I measure the distance from the rear of the swingarm to the block the axle goes through. Seems to work really well.
I do the same thing. Hell I've seen guys use rulers in a pitch and be fine. String method is a major pain and calipers will do you just fine. Last time I adjusted some slack out of my chain I got it dailed in on both sides and wouldn't you know it, the marks on the swingarm were spot on. Go figure :shrug

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Well the nice thing is if you do the string method just once you can then see how far off the alignment marks are. Once you know that you can always adjust accordingly. Also once you adjust it once, you can make sure to adjust both sides by the same number of turns if you are setting chain slack. it is harder to do when changing sprockets just cause you have to make so many turns. that is when it is nice to just know, "the right side is always half a tick forward from the left side." that is what mine is. but I still like the laser lines especially cause it lets me check for frame damage after a wreck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts