R6 Message Net banner

Almost a bad thing yesturday

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  EUBATT 
#1 ·
So I was entering the highway and increasing speed on the ramp and looked over my left shoulder to check for cars. There was a bump where the ramp meets the highway and I usually go over it with no problems, but this time I leaned back a bit when I looked over my shoulder, shifting my weight farther from the front of the bike, and all of a sudden when I hit the bump the front end came up slightly and the handlebars did a quick side to side. I actually didn't realize what was goin on atfirst, but my initial reaction was to get back to my regular riding position, so when the wheel did come down I it was fine. It didn't really occur to me that I could have had a nasty spill till later on that morning...

Don't know if I got lucky or what, but was that the best thing to do when your handlebars get out of control?

#4 ·
I've had that happen before too if I'm accelerating hard and the nose comes up juuuuust enough to take the weight off the front tire. Even the slightest bumps will make the handlebars shoot back n forth. Best way to get out of it is to do just what you did and not panic, just bring the nose back down and let the bike settle down before changing any of the inputs.

#7 ·
Damper was the best mod I did to my bike - don't plan on riding without one in the future. Especially for the R6 - it has a reputation for being a tad "twicthy".

Should you find yourself in such a situation again, don't fight the motion too much, ride it out, and like someone mentioned , don't chop the throttle - keep on the gas, even accelerate, as this takes the weight off the front wheel and allows you to regain control quicker/easier.

#11 ·
EUBATT said:
Have any of you experienced the same thing?
Several times, same spot on the highway. A long off ramp, I usually shift to 2nd gear and shoot down this long ramp. Front end hits the same bump and away it goes. In my experience just riding it out without taking your hands off the bars is the only option. Need to get a damper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.