R6 Message Net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an R1 picture with gold aftermarket rims and forks. Damned if i can find the pictrure but i have been looking for rims that were that color and for the life of me cant find jack sh!t. If you guys have any idea where i should be looking im all ears

·
Loves Carbon Fiber
1,707 Posts
Depends, were they stock R1 style? If so, they were probably powder coated. If not, they were probably Marvic magnesium rims. Super light, but also super expensive.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn. I googled said rims. Almost 2k! Hmm. Still thinking about it. The problem with that would be color matching a paint scheme for forks, caliper(if possible) and other such things to it. Powder coating seems a bit more reasonable. Is there a particular distributor that sells a good aftermarket rim? Any that I should avoid? Thanks Merlin

·
Registered
64 Posts
marchesini and carrozzeria have anodized gold rims. pvm and oz (i believe) have powdercoated gold rims. price wise, carrozzerias will be the cheapest, but not as light as the others. regardless, you're looking at $1500 to $2000 for forged aluminium, and $2000 to $3000~ for forged mag. Rims + ohlins forks = cheddar cheese

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm. Thats alot of cash. My real concern is getting a color match. Money isnt much of an issue but if i have like 3 diffrent gold colors then its all for not. God, upgrading the bike is going to cost like 6k! :kickinnut . Do many people get the mag rims? I know the hardcore racers do for weight reduction but would it make a noticable diffrence? The suspension upgrades i feel would be a worth while venture but the rims leave me in doubt. Dont see awhole lot of after market rims on peopls bikes. Your thoughts please

·
Registered
64 Posts
Talon37 said:
Hmm. Thats alot of cash. My real concern is getting a color match. Money isnt much of an issue but if i have like 3 diffrent gold colors then its all for not. God, upgrading the bike is going to cost like 6k! :kickinnut . Do many people get the mag rims? I know the hardcore racers do for weight reduction but would it make a noticable diffrence? The suspension upgrades i feel would be a worth while venture but the rims leave me in doubt. Dont see awhole lot of after market rims on peopls bikes. Your thoughts please

ok, so what gold parts do you have? anodized gold looks much different than powdercoated. if color matching is your goal, then generally you should stick with the same "type" of gold. for instance, if you have pazzo levers (anodized gold), sato rearsets (anodized gold), ohlins forks (anodized gold); then you should stick with anodized gold rims.

on the otherhand, i've seen a bike on the r1-forum with stock rims that he powdercoated to match his sato gold rearsets. don't know too much about powdercoating colors, but i've heard they have a lot to choose from.

i haven't heard about too many people getting rims on this forum, but on the r1-forum a lot of people get them. people that do get them say you can feel a world of difference in turning, plus they look tight :thumbup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts