R6 Message Net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering putting some new rearsets on and wanted to know how hard a job it is to convert to GP shift? I've done some searches and it looks that to convert to GP shift, you have to get a new shift rod that does not go through the same hole the stock one does. If this is indeed the case...does the rod move to the inside, or outside of the frame?

Also, was curious how difficult it is to go from standard to GP shift? Just in a ballpark figure...how long did it take to adapt and become second nature?

Appreciate any/all opinions....Thanks

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Well... the rear sets you get will determine how you change to gp shift. Some rearsets ARE gp shift, and other arent, while others give you the option.

2 sessions on the track and I was about 98% converted...

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
If you just want GP shift you can get a woodcraft shift rod that will work with the stock rear sets.

It'll take a few rides before you'll get used to it but once you're used to it you'll love the change.

All the rear sets I've seen that use GP shift go on the out side of the frame, no big deal.

I know sato and vortex rear sets allow you to use either standard or gp shift.

Heres the satos with gp shift

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

I'm looking hard at the Vortex. I was wondering if having the shift rod outside the frame rail would get in the way. By the look of the pic you posted blueblur, it does not.

Those Satos look nice too.

·
Gixxer rider
2,939 Posts
I have Sato's also and run GP shift. It took me a few rides to be able to switch since I've ridden about 20K miles with standard shift. I had to consciously think about shifting for the first few rides and even then every now and then I would downshift instead of upshift. Its like second nature to me now after a few months with GP shift.

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
XRedJar said:
Thanks guys!

I'm looking hard at the Vortex. I was wondering if having the shift rod outside the frame rail would get in the way. By the look of the pic you posted blueblur, it does not.

The vortex are pretty nice too. Having the rod outside the frame is not in the way at all.

If you want the satos they're for sale.

Great rearsets :thumbup

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
blueblur said:
The vortex are pretty nice too. Having the rod outside the frame is not in the way at all.

Gotta wait till after the holidays before buying anymore toys. If your not in a hurry to sell them, and they fit a 01....I'll pm ya in a couple weeks & see if you still have them.

·
Registered
519 Posts
blueblur said:

how much?

·
waiting for GP
3,977 Posts
XRedJar said:
Thanks guys!

I dont use the GP shift on my Vortex as I dont want the shift rod outside the frame, but I can say the Vortex are some pretty damn nice rearsets, especially for the money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts