1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
will ride for mods
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Plug and Play Acumen Digital Gear Indicator
Price Paid: $125.00
By FreStylMotoX01

I ran a GB for these back in November just in time for winter. Now that it is warm enough that I finally had a chance to install it and give it a run. Anyone who is reading this most likely knows a little bit about these but I will give a quick rundown anyway. The digital gear indicator comes in a few variations, plug and play or solder in, and the indicator itself comes with a few color choices for the display, I choose red to match the gauge display and for convenience I went with the plug and play.

The installation is pretty straight forward but can be time consuming finding the right connectors and then getting them unplugged can be a little challenging because the space is tight under the tank. You have to make the connection from the speedometer and the harness using the appropriate connectors, after you must run the harness from the front behind the windshield, through the ram air cover and frame and under the tank and make the connections and it is all hooked up. You can put most of the bike back together, and you are ready to program it. Programming it consists of pushing a button with a pin in the back of the indicator, then just follow the instructions that it comes with. (I recommend that you use stands and not try to do it on the road). After you finish programming it you can mount it with Velcro that it comes with, all you have to do is find a spot that works for you.

Time for a test drive, the first thing I noticed is the nice fit and finish of the harness and the module. The harness is OEM quality, has the same connectors and is pretty durable, wrapped in a thick coating so that it won’t easily be pinched or cut into. When the bike is running the display is nice and bright and visible in the direct sunlight and the letter/numbers are big and easy to read. On my test drive it was great, click in to first and it shows it so you take off and clutch in and gear up, a brief N shows and then 2nd is displayed and so on and so on till 6th. When you switch gears there is a moment between the display changing, but it isn’t an issue for me and I wouldn’t imagine it would be an issue for anyone else. There is also a pause when downshifting, but again it isn’t a long pause, it just isn’t instantaneous.

Around town this thing is great, most of the time I’m trying not to attract to much unwanted attention through town so I ride through in a high gear, now I don’t have to try and figure out where I am, It is right there displayed in front of you. It is great on the highway to, no more looking for 7th gear, or having to concentrate on how many clicks down when you need to pass someone or coming to a stop light. This item was a great purchase and I would recommend it for anyone with a come extra cash that is burning a hole in their pocket. If I could go back I would purchase this again, I would actually consider this as one of my first modifications.

Pros
Easy installation
Great Display
Really helpful

Cons
Gear change not instantaneous
Kind of Pricey
Programming easy but can take a few tries to get right.

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
I will concur with you man...After 13k+ miles on my bike I broke down and bought mine from Wessinger....And I am extremely pleased with it, I reset mine a few times using various trial and error methods till I got it were I was happy. I had a few little glitches with it wanting to display 1st in Neutral and 2nd with the clutch in....Those kinks are easily reprogrammed out

·
He be beastin
1,458 Posts
Has anyone had problems with it? When I try to program it, i'll shift into first and the unit will not display anything, it will just go blank.

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
Are you going into the programming mode properly...It should be hold the button for 10 seconds, then when it displays L push the button 6 times to tell the indicator 6 gears....Then it will go into the actual programming mode after a few seconds.

If you are getting display and have it hooked up right that's an odd issue

·
will ride for mods
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea, i get display and the connections were tight. the only problem i have is with the clutch in or in neutral it will sometimes put up a 1 or 2 and sometimes a spinning thing. i will reprogram and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
4,744 Posts
I get the spinning thing when coming to a halt.

Oddly enough, when in neutral I get a 0 instead of an n.

Either way, I have nothing but praise for the Acumen. It's a great gadget. :thumbup

·
He be beastin
1,458 Posts
Cever said:
Are you going into the programming mode properly...It should be hold the button for 10 seconds, then when it displays L push the button 6 times to tell the indicator 6 gears....Then it will go into the actual programming mode after a few seconds.

If you are getting display and have it hooked up right that's an odd issue
I'll try that tomorrow.

On a side note, I hate it when the post are so big you have to scroll to the side to see the whole thing. (page 1)

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have the Digi version of this. I like it, but the achilles heel for it is sunlight. Even though it brightens up, it is just no match for the sun. I will buy another one whenever they figure out that it needs to be LCD like the speedometer.

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
^ Im trying to help with that problem but no one will give/find me a crashed gauge so i can experiment intergreating an lcd display into the tach.... grrrr. :furious

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yeah, I noticed the mechanical switch thing too. Seems like a bit much to have to add that much hardware to tell you what gear you are in. The speedometer sensor is near the rear brake on the Aprilia. Maybe that has something to do with it.

·
Banned
463 Posts
sounds good, thansk for that write up

1 - 20 of 21 Posts