R6 Message Net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding home from work today, made a left off of 13th Street onto Harrison. A few yards ahead here is a Best Buy parking lot on the left and 14th Street on the right. There are two lanes in each direction and I am in the far right lane. As I am passing the 14th Street intersection all of a sudden, I notice a car coming across the opposing lanes and the left lane right into my bike!

I barely had time to hit the throttle, but not enough and I go flying in the air and my bike goes somewhere else. Oh $hit. I land ? on my leg, my head, I don't remember.

Anyways, the guy stops and gets out, he is some sort of driver (one of those black Lincolns), we call the cops and I exchange information with him. He says he didn't see me. He had a stop sign and was pulling out across 4 lanes so I would think he is totally at fault.

Some guys help load up my bike and take it home.

Damage to the bike:
Clutch cover half missing (Glad he hit that instead of my leg though), leaking oil everywhere, front brake lever gone, one frame slider broken off, scratches all over. I need to take another look to assess the rest of the damage, but augh.

Damage to gear:
helmet is scraped up
jacket ok
boots ok
gloves ok
only wearing jeans which have a few tears

Damage to me:
Sore thumb, sore leg (ouch), sore neck, bruise on leg

Anyone deal with an accident recently? What can I expect in terms of getting my bike and gear replaced ? I have an 04 R6.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have State Farm. Is it a % of MSRP or the current value (any idea of what that is for a liquid silver 04 r6 in California).

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
well mine was an 05, and i didnt get it for msrp obviously, so they said theyd pay for the damages if the damages equaled to 75% of the bikes worth. so lets say the bike is $8500, 75% would be approx. $6375. this was the case for my bike, dunno aboot yours.. did you buy the bike brand new? have you contacted your insurance yet?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had an accident on my 05 a few weeks ago and the total damage came to $8,553...I thought it was totaled for sure but geico is gonna fix it. The damages include a new frame, swingarm, both wheels, gas tank, left side engine cover, all the fairings on the left side, headlights, windshield and my left rear set...plus all the little bolts and other junk to put it back together.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
^^ damn dude, mine didnt even come out to that much and my insurance was gonna total it. i really need to do some research for new insurance. state farm is not all that great when it comes to motorcycles.. learned that the hard way.

how is geico? do they have special motorcycle insurance?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah they call it Cycle guard or something. I heard the estimate and braced myself for the news that I was no longer the owner of a beatiful r6 but they suprised me. :thumbup

·
Eli, please ban winter
5,768 Posts
^ Dude if you need a new frame, swingarm and wheel you might as well get a new one IMO. I can't believe they didn't total that thing even though it doesn't look too bad in that pic.

State Farm has been good to me :shrug

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I thought if the other person was proved to be at fault all repairs came from their insurance co. is this wrong?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bosoxdave said:
I thought if the other person was proved to be at fault all repairs came from their insurance co. is this wrong?
Well, I contacted my insurance company and they said that I would need to contact the other person's insurance company to make the claim in regard to getting gear, hospital visit, my deductible. I made the call a few minutes ago and we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
350 Posts
tripleboston said:
Well, I contacted my insurance company and they said that I would need to contact the other person's insurance company to make the claim in regard to getting gear, hospital visit, my deductible. I made the call a few minutes ago and we'll see what happens.
shouldn't ur insurance represent you to make the claim for other company? or do they only step in if the other company tries not to pay?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mitsuguy said:
shouldn't ur insurance represent you to make the claim for other company? or do they only step in if the other company tries not to pay?
That's what I thought too, but they told me I could either settle the claim with them (the cost of my bike - my $1000 deductible) or contact the other insurance company and make a claim. They said they would help me along the way, but nothing about doing all the legwork for me.

·
Ma$$hole
181 Posts
Just a note on your gear, I know some of the helmet companies are pretty cool and if you write them a letter with pictures (I know SHOEI does this) and tell them about your accident and say the helmet saved your life they will replace the helmet for free. My roomate did that when he wrecked his 954.

·
Ridin' Dirty
1,786 Posts
1) That's bull shit, Geico should have totaled the bike. Obviously the damages amount to more than the actual value of the bike.

2) I'm surprised you are the one calling the other party's insurance company, it seems as your Geico agent is a lazy ass. I would think that they would take care of their customers better than that.

I have state farm and I'm pretty happy with them so far. I haven't had to claim anything yet, knock on wood, but I'd be pissed if I'd have to do all the work.
Good luck dealing with both of the insurance companies.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mitsuguy said:
As I understand it, I can work with the other insurance company OR my insurance policy can pay me out per my policy and then try to collect from the other insurance company. I would need to cover my deductible until they got paid out, however.

I am now wondering if I can submit a claim with "everything" (including the gear, hospital bills, time off, etc) and then have State Farm pay me out and have them go after the other guys insurance. I'm going to wait until Monday and see what the other guys insurance says. If they are difficult I may have my agent take care of things.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JacekPSUr6 said:
1) That's bull shit, Geico should have totaled the bike. Obviously the damages amount to more than the actual value of the bike.

2) I'm surprised you are the one calling the other party's insurance company, it seems as your Geico agent is a lazy ass. I would think that they would take care of their customers better than that.

I have state farm and I'm pretty happy with them so far. I haven't had to claim anything yet, knock on wood, but I'd be pissed if I'd have to do all the work.
Good luck dealing with both of the insurance companies.
I have State Farm too! When you say your agent, is it the person who is handling your claim or your actual State Farm agent? Did they pay you anything on top of the bike, gear and hospital bills? I have been without my bike/commuter and limping around for the past 5 days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re:

TripleBoston: Sorry to hear you were in a crash. I used to work as a claims adjuster at Allstate INsurance in the Injury unit. Motorcycle accidents were routed to our department due to the likelihood that a ride would be hurt.

Things may have been squared away, but I'll go ahead an clarify a few things further for anyone that runs into the same situation.

-The claims adjuster and the insurance agent are not the same person. The agent is the person that sells you the policy. The claims adjuster helps you in the event you are in an accident.

-you have the choice of going through your insurance carrier or the TPC- third party carrier (the insurance company of the person that hit you) for your PROPERTY DAMAGE. If you decide to go through your carrier, you will be responsible for the deductible, and your insurance company will go through subrogation (the process of collecting back what is owed for your repairs).

-Your INJURY CLAIM (Med bills, lost wages, pain and suffering) is handled by TPC. Your injury claim will only be handled by your insurance company if you have Medical Pay on your motorcycle policy or if you were struck by an Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist and had the proper coverage on your policy.

-If you have any after market equipment on your motorcycle, please be prepared to provide receipts. In fact, most insurance companies do not have an adjuster specializing in motorcycle damage estimation. Usually they outsource this to smaller companies or they have you go to a moto shop and get an estimate and base the settlement in this way.

-Property damage under than the motorcycle--provide receipts and be prepared to surrender the damage items as salvage.

---------------

Sometimes it requires urgency on your part to be involved in the claims process. Keep in mind, case loads for large companies are 30 cases per desk and alot higher for smaller companies. Involvement on your part also allows you to be informed with how and what the settlement procedure entails. I can assume the reason why your ADJUSTER suggested you make the claim with the other insurance company because your policy does not have medical pay and you were not the cause of the accident. Therefore, settlement should and ultimately will be made with TPC.

If any other questions, feel free to contact me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts