R6 Message Net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
question about tires???

found some tires for sale on ebay, and i was talkin to the guy. he said that he would ship me a pair of "pilot race" (i think) tires for like 160 shipped. They are brand new, not takeoffs, but he said they were kinda old.

he had 120/60 front which i want in H2 compound (that means it'll last a while right?)

and he has 180 rear, but only in s2 (which means medium soft or super soft??? anyway it wont last very long right??)

my question is, can i run a h2 front and s2 rear safely for trackdays????? or should i always have matching compounds in the tires???

here is a pic of what the tires look like, except i would be getting 180 rear

·
Registered
151 Posts
You can run the Pilot Race series in any combination you want. Looking at that photo, the rear is stamed H2 - but then again, he might be showing you a photo of some other tires.

I always ran S2 front/ M2 rear - but have done the other combinations as well.

You'll be fine. Buy the tires and get your ass to the track!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Only caveat/warning - the Pilot Races were slow to warm up. Be gentle for your first two laps on them, and the first lap every session until they warm up.

·
Registered
106 Posts
kz2zx said:
Only caveat/warning - the Pilot Races were slow to warm up. Be gentle for your first two laps on them, and the first lap every session until they warm up.

Went to Jennings last weekend, and my Pilots took alot more than a lap to get back up to temp... I would say 2 at least before you start pushing hard... Or just get a set of tire warmers and you'll be set...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Big Deezul said:
yeah slow to warm and stiff ass carcaas, plus they are 2 years old now :(
is that way old??? he said he was selling them cheap b/c they were old, how old is too old???

btw he wants like 160 shipped for a set, and i know when its too good to be true it probably is.....

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
personally i'd rather pay the extra $100ish or there abouts for new power races at the track from a vendor than to run tires that old but those ARE pretty cheap and i'd totally run them for a track day. if you are planning on running on the ragged edge though i would be prepared to have the bike dancing a bit...hope you have some dirt bike experience to not get freaked out by a bit of sliding.

·
Registered
681 Posts
funklab yes those tires are 1 to 2 years old. i still use em for racing as i just bought a few more sets. However, stay away from that compound that you are gonna run. Ask the guy you are buying from for M2's front and rear. The H2 front is not that great for trackdays (its a pretty hard front) and the S2 rear is really soft and you are gonna burn that up fast.

yes these tires take a little to warm up but are great tires

want some take offs to try first?

·
Registered
681 Posts
actually as old as they are, ama racer mike smith used those in a recent ama race. of course he gets the special compound but its the same old tire.

also someone mentioned that it slides alot? if you ride any tire hard it will slide

like big D mentioned it has a stiff carcass sp which is true and not a bad thing. every tire is different so pick what you want.

i want michelins:thumbup

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, so i was thinking that its probably not a great idea to run the hard tire up front with a soft one out back (im a newb, and these are gonna be my 1st set of racing tires) soft rear doesnt really bother me too much, if its that cheap i dont care if i burn it up real quick, but i would rather have something softer up front.

Guess i'll see if this guy has some softer front tires.

·
Registered
160 Posts
sanee said:
actually as old as they are, ama racer mike smith used those in a recent ama race. of course he gets the special compound but its the same old tire.

also someone mentioned that it slides alot? if you ride any tire hard it will slide

like big D mentioned it has a stiff carcass sp which is true and not a bad thing. every tire is different so pick what you want.

i want michelins:thumbup
Those were not the same old tire. Michelin uses that tread pattern on all the new proto type compounds and construction. Only top racers get these for testing of new tires.

·
Registered
160 Posts
funklab said:
Yeah, so i was thinking that its probably not a great idea to run the hard tire up front with a soft one out back (im a newb, and these are gonna be my 1st set of racing tires) soft rear doesnt really bother me too much, if its that cheap i dont care if i burn it up real quick, but i would rather have something softer up front.

Guess i'll see if this guy has some softer front tires.
The H does not stand for hard it means highway. The H tires were made to try and be a track street tire. The S is soft and the M is the hard of their race tires. I would not run an H2 on the front you can get by with them on the rear but not the front. Get a set of the Pilot Power for $205. These will be better and last longer than the H2's. These are really nice if you ride the bike on both the street and track.

·
Registered
681 Posts
zeus said:
Those were not the same old tire. Michelin uses that tread pattern on all the new proto type compounds and construction. Only top racers get these for testing of new tires.
thanks for the info

i would think michelin would use the new thread pattern like the PRC

·
Registered
316 Posts
sanee said:
thanks for the info

i would think michelin would use the new thread pattern like the PRC
My PRC uses the S2 pattern and mold - it says 'S2' on the side (and also "C-xxx").

BTW, the PR-C is a freaking awesome tire. I used one from July to November, only retiring it for a December TD/school just because I can't beleive a tire should last so long. I have another on the front now, and expect it to last...

The new PR1/2 is supposed to have the same profile, but a weaker carcass and less rubber (lighter). Anyone seen it yet?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have it second-hand from my Michelin guy, who got it from Dale Keiffer in Vegas... he (Dale) thinks they'll be generally available late January. I've got a TD in Feb I'll be trying the tire at.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts