R6 Message Net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems Yamaha's charging phenomenon continues...

The background.

At 23,000 miles my R6 stopped charging. Battery held 12.8 V when off and while running was dragged down to at least 12.3 V or less.
I followed the service manual and forum guidelines to find culprit.
The 3 wire plug with all white wires is where I found my "burning" that is so often talked about. The male side of the connectors where fried. At that time I cut back the wire about an inch past the charred end and put male spades on the wire and plugged them into the stator 3 wire plug. The charred area was not at the r/r like many have. I checked the rest of the system for bad wires and found none. I then proceeded to check my Stator.

I found my original stator had a resistance of .9 on the 200 setting. As a side note my multimeter is of mild quality. I am also curious if the resistance is not actually .1 because my multimeter reads "1" ohm when not in use. I could use some help here also.
Since this did not fall into the .27-.33 ohms specified in the service manual I decided to replace my stator.
After replacing the original stator I then found the excessive charging-decharging of the battery had caused it to fail.
This may have been my original problem as I did not have it tested at Autozone until after the new stator was installed, at which point it was obvious it was toast.

I then purchased a new Yuasa battery, gt12b-4. After installing this battery I had proper charging at 13.8 V to 14 V. At this point I was happy.

Fast forward 1500 miles, 24,500 to current and the bike is not charging.
I did the usual checks.
Only 12.3 V when at 5K.
Plug that once burned (male side of 3 wire plug from stator) is once again charred.
I then replaced the wire from male side of this plug to the r/r with 12 gauge wire.
Recheck V's, only 12.3 as before.
The battery appears okay and will hold a charge, however I will have Autozone check this battery also.
The resistance from the stator is once again .9 ohms or is it .1 ohms?
I then checked the ACV from the Stator before the r/r and read 11.8 ACV on each white wire. From my memory I believe this should be much higher, say 50-80 ACV.

Does anyone know the ACV that should be sent out of the stator at 4-5K?

At this point I am worried that there is something wrong with the flywheel that causes my stator to act up. After checking the flywheel for cracks or out of roundness I found no such problem.

If anyone has a suggestion it would be much appreciated, I may have missed something while checking. I called the local Yamaha dealership but the head mechanic was on vacation and the other tech was not very helpful.

I'm thinking I will need to either replace the stator or the r/r. Neither are especially cheap so I want to get it right. For the second time.

To make matters worse I wanted to take the bike on a 500-600 mile trip this weekend, which would save me around $100 in gas. If I get something ordered tomorrow I might just be able to take the bike lol.

Sorry to be so windy but I wanted to provide all of the information and thanks in advance for any help.

Ray C

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Autpzone Stop

Well I was able to run to Autozone tonight before they closed to get some more numbers. It appears my multimeter is off when measuring ohms.

I checked both the resistance of the old stator and new one while I was there.
The old stator gave .6 ohms
and the new stator .4 ohms.
My multimeter gave both stators at .9 ohms.

I also had the battery checked and that showed that the battery was good.

I also checked the 3 white wires for ACV with Autozones multimeter.
Each wire had 14.5 ACV before it went to the r/r at 5K.
I'm not sure if that is the ACV to use or take that number X 3 since there are 3 wires?
And is this number (ACV) satisfactory or does it show the stator is bad???

I think I need a beer...

Ray C

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you get an aftermarket stator? IE from like Ron Ayers? I had a problem that sounds just like what you are describing and determined despite the char by the stator it was in fact the rectifier R/R... Also I found that the stator I bought from Ron Ayers was not an OEM replacement and carried different Ohm readings. Hope this helps

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm curently going thru the same problem just replaced the r/r oem part number and stator from a local shop no brand on box just Yamaha R6 99-02 and some part number, Well the stator fit like it should and was working at its normal rating when all of a suden the wires that plug in to the r/r started geting hot... I shut off the bike and waited untill the wires cooled down and did some more analizing everything looked perfectly fine I started the engine again and the wires were not geting that hot this time but all of a suden my computer fries, thats right smoke comes up from the bottom of it and the bike shuts off after that. What the hell is going on?

I'm gona try and post up pics to see if anybody has ever seen this, two white little copper coils burned thru the bottom of the computer.

I'm just saying look out for that problem too, seems like the charging system on these models is crap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.