R6 Message Net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just signed up for this forum and I have a question about this plastic piece on my bike. I'm replacing the air filter, fuel filter and plugs and i come upon this plastic piece that sits under the airbox and covers the fan and that some wires snap into. I'm wondering what purpose this thing serves besides "maybe" keeping the wires from touching the fan. Everything is pretty tight so I don't think that would be an issue. Has anyone removed this and had any issues? Just curious what the majority of you do with it as it makes changing plugs a pain in the ass.

Thanks,

Jon

·
Registered
102 Posts
It's the "heat shield" keeping the heat from the crankcase away from the bulk of the plastic airbox. It also keeps the wires in place, and serves to make life more difficult when change/cleaning your plugs.

·
Garage Queen R6
1,801 Posts
Its better if you keep it installed. There's a lot of heat coming from the motor and radiator. If the hot air gets to the airbox, you actually lose some HP. There's an article about it somewhere or you can just take our word for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts