R6 Message Net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an 07 R6- love it to death except wanting more bottom and mid. Have only been riding street for a year now but the urge hits me almost every ride for more bottom and mid. have ridden dirt all my life and for the last 12 years have ridden a KTM 300 exc & xcw. Ive always liked lots of bottom grunt and the abillity to rev her out also! So do you think I could get the R6 near the mid of a GSXR 750 by bumping compression or something else.
my thoughts are that there is about a $2500 dollar diff between what I could get for the R6 and what the GSXR 750 would cost. Again I love every aspect of my bike more than any other except the bottom and mid power.Rode a GSXR 1000 and liked it but I knew right away it was not nimble enough for me especially with my dirt background. so 1000's are out of the question.
any thoughts?
BigFish

·
enjoyyoself
146 Posts
yeah do -1/+2 and do a 520 conversion and you'll see a huge diff!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Thanks guys, yeah I forgot to mention I dont want to change gearing I have a freewaY STINT TO AND FROM WORK AND i FEEL LIKE IM ROWING THE GEARS TOO MUCH AS IT IS, i ALMOST WENT THAT ROUTE BUT AGAIN SHES ALREADY REAL BuZZY AT FREEWAY SPEEDS AS IT IS.sorry hit caps lock by accident.these are my thoughts, full exhaust$1600.00 + PCIII$300.00+airfilter $80.00+520 chain & Sproc$250.00=$2230.00 almost the same price diff as buying the 750 and selling the R6. if it was only the money issue I would get the 750 but again I love every thing about the R6 more than any bike out there except the Lower power.Was wondering if actual motor mods with some degree of reliabillity would be feasable for that price range and almost similar bottom mid power as the 750?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just traded my 2007 GSX-R 750 for a 2008 YZF-R6.

Yep there is a difference in the low to mid.

But for me, I wanted a bike that handled better over more torque and HP.

The 750 is a great bike.

I think the R6 handles a lot better though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TMR

at what point of the rpm would you say they start to feel similar in power? also Im assuming the R6 is much more nimble, or when you say better handeling do you mean stability at speed?
Thanks this is exactly what I need pardon if I ask a 100 more questions.
I keep wanting to keep the R6, but in my gut I cant help feeling I want more bottom.

·
Registered
28 Posts
at what point of the rpm would you say they start to feel similar in power? also Im assuming the R6 is much more nimble, or when you say better handeling do you mean stability at speed?
Thanks this is exactly what I need pardon if I ask a 100 more questions.
I keep wanting to keep the R6, but in my gut I cant help feeling I want more bottom.
Power delivery really was not the same as you can imagine. It is the speed I am carrying through corners that makes me more confident on the R6. I looked at it this way. For me, the 750 was a point and shoot type of ride. Blast up to the corner, heavy on the brakes (the brakes are great on the 750 by the way), get it turned in (which for me required more effort than it does on the R6) neutral throttle through the apex then back on the gas. On the 750, there is a little bit of drive lash between on and off throttle which can be a little unsettling. But, you get used to it and learn where you need to be to minimize that sensation.

On the R6, I find I hardly have to slow down through the corners, and so far the R6 inspires more confidence and better lines when cornering.

To me the R6 feels so much lighter too. I think the 750 and R6 are pretty close in weight but each must carry their weight differently because the R6 just feels way more flickable.

The 750 was more stable at straight line speed. I attribute that to the OEM steering damper and what feels like a lower center of gravity.

Comparing the two and even though they are both 4 cylinders, the 750 is more v-twin like compared to the R6. the 750 really pulls through the entire rev range. The R6 is kind of more two stroke like where you need manage the revs to go quickly.

That is what I wanted, something more race inspired. The R6 feels like it is something special and the 750 just feels like a nice motorcycle.

In the Suzuki line up, there are hardly any differences to tell if someone is riding a 600 or 750. There are a few differences in components that are really only noticeable when looking at them closely and the the other differences are what paint choices are offered for each model. Not really too much to point out the difference between the two.

Obviously there is nothing that looks like the R6 on the road.

If you want more torque and horse power and are more interested in a point and shoot type of ride, you can't go wrong with the 750. It really is a great and only compromise between the handing of a 600 and power of a 1000.

Se if you can score a test ride from a buddy or respectable dealer.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
And this is after considering other 600's with better low and mid range like the zx6r and the cbr? If it's down to the 750 and the R6, you have to weigh the pluses and minuses and decide which one you are willing to live with more and which features are more important to you. The sprocket/chain conversion is a great idea and may be the compromise you are looking for. I'd start there as it's relatively inexpensive and then based on your impressions, move forward with your decision.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I understand the problem you're facing. I rode aggressive dirt for about before buying my first street bike.

I've heard mixed reviews for the PCIII, but I think for what you're looking for it might work really well. I don't personally have one, but my brother has one on his 07 CBR600RR and he has a lot more low end with it.

You might want to reconsider the sproket conversion. I have just recently made the switch and there is a TON of difference. It was definatly the best mod for the money I have ever done.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah I know what you mean about the regear , I have dropped a tooth on every C/S sprocket on every EXC I have owned and yeah it makes a huge diff but again I feel shes too buzzy and reving to high at my highway speeds that I would end up not liking it.I have thought the 520 conversion and maybe the Mag wheels which should really improve the acceleration but again Im getting into high dollar stuff then.I know there is no replacement for displacement but I would like to get close for a reasonable amount of change or maybe go the 750 route.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If it's that huge a deal bro, go with the 750 or you will constantly be thinking about it every time you ride not enjoying the ride fully. It's like buying a kawa and then realizing you screwed up and should have bought an R6 to begin with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.