R6 Message Net banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 97 Posts
^exactly. all these people buy their 600 and barely ride them and then want to jump to a 1000. Hell between my 03 and my 05 r6 iv ridden roughly 25900 miles and i have no desire at all to purchase a 1000. I love my 600 and im just getting to where i can use it (somewhat) to its capabilities. I think a 600 is plenty strong enough for the street and more than enough to satisfy my needs. The r6 is a super strong bike and with the 06 coming out, soon to be in the garage, they just keep getting stonger. Theres nothing wrong at all with wanting a 1000, but to say ive ridden my 600 for 5000 miles and its time for a 1000. I thinks its time for some to re-evaluate their riding needs. Seriously i think having a 1000 would be great providing you are a decent rider and fully understand throttle control. But for me, I could prolly handle a 1000 given the proper time to acustom my riding style to it. But the jump in insurance just doesnt justify getting one anytime soon.

Well for that reason i can understand.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
I totally argree with u liquid. I just got my 6 this year too and have no want to get a 1000 (maybe in a couple years when i learn to ride the crap out of the 6). My boys 636 is quite well adequate to handle the city roads and a 1 hour commute in and out of the city which really confused me. He didnt even hit the track cuz he doesnt want to crash it there cuz insurance doesnt cover the track and he cant lie about it cuz hes becoming a cop. I really wish i could have shown him were to ride so nice streets cuz he would not have even thought about selling his 636 (since it has a undertail and can lean even further than i can).
Having a 1000 comes down to how responsible he handles the power of the bike.

Ok Nickers and Aaroncee, let us (Riggz and I) fill you in on the full debate since he brought it in here. I have a ZX-6, the old one, that, when wet, weighs in right at 500 lbs (Dry weight 430). That's a lot for a girl who barely maintains 120 lbs.

I've looked at switching to an R6, but honestly that 357 lb dry weight scares me. I'm already pulling my bike down going through curves and a light bike terrifies me. Given that the R1 is 390 lb dry (the years I'm looking for anyway; I know the new ones are only 375) I thought the weight might be more comparable to what I'm used to.

Also, I can show you pics on Riggz's R6 where I'm wearing 4-inch heels and STILL can't get my feet on the ground, but on a stock R1, I can get everything except my heels flat.

So now that you know the full debate . . .

EDIT: Let me further add that Riggz says there are no curves where I live. I mostly do short rides of a few hours or back and forth to work. I push MY limits, not the limits of the bike, and I don't show off for anyone. I'm more interested in a smooth throttle than I am how fast the bike can go.

Insurance between the two bikes is a huge $30/yr difference for me, so that's not really an issue.

I just don't see how having a smaller engine bike that I can't put my feet on the ground and I'm afraid of, is better than a larger engine bike that I feel much more comfortable on.

600's are fine untill your buddy on his gsxr 750 rapes you on the top end :myfault lol

I hope to get a 05 gsxr-1000 in a year or so if everything goes alright. It's all up to the owner if they can handle it or not. I had a 01 R1 as my first bike. I put 300 miles on it and sold it. The thing freaked me out beyond words. It was always wanting to power wheelie ect. Now that i have 10 thousand miles on a bike. This stuff dont freak me out nearly as much.

Oh and i rode a 04 R1 and the thing seemed like a BOAT compared to my 6

r6HeavenTNT said:
Put down the pipe!

+100000000

i have both and i would have to strongly dissagree...

@perfect.

i can understand, however you must also understand that a good rider should be able to adjust to a lighter/heavier bike. the same way that you are worried about an R6 dipping to fast, you should also worry about a bigger displacement bike being less flickable due to inertia. (bigger engine parts, more gyro, harder to flick in and out of a corner). someone with less strength would have a harder time handling it... add that with the fact that it has a ton more power and tourque, and you might have trouble... this is assuming your a novice rider. a good rider, well... strength wouldnt be an issue.

aar0ncee said:
+100000000

i have both and i would have to strongly disagree...

+ 1

The R1 is comparable in size to my 01 R6, it may even be a little bit smaller.

Any litre bike has enough power to rip your arms out and should be treated with the utmost respect.

I reckon there is no defining line about when you will be able to handle the bigger bike. If you are a ham fisted jerk about rider on the R6 you can rest assured that the R1 will punish you just as much.

There is no reason to fear a litre bike if you are a smooth rider, who knows their limits, when to take it easy and be prepared to re-learn how to ride.

On the other hand, if you think you can ride the wheels off your 600 and jump on a 1000 thinking the same - be prepared to have your arse handed to you on a plate. Everything happens so much faster and pain is but an over-exuberant twist of the throttle away.

That being said, I love my R1!

Want a late model liter to be as flickable as your 600? Put 180/55 or 190/60 on that biatch wouldn't tell the difference between your 600 and a liter. And if you ever had the chance to mount up on the latest from Kawi, yamaha and suzuki, which the k5 has the smallest fit for me, you will have a different attitude towards liter bikes. Seriously, We're talking about a 12lbs difference here folks between the 600 and liter class bikes. You should base your decision on whether you can afford the insurance, the cost or if you're skilled or crazy enough :lol handle the leap in HP of the liter bikes, Not if there just as flickable or can handle a corner like the 600's, cuase pretty much they do...

PerfectMistake said:
Ok Nickers and Aaroncee, let us (Riggz and I) fill you in on the full debate since he brought it in here. I have a ZX-6, the old one, that, when wet, weighs in right at 500 lbs (Dry weight 430). That's a lot for a girl who barely maintains 120 lbs.

I've looked at switching to an R6, but honestly that 357 lb dry weight scares me. I'm already pulling my bike down going through curves and a light bike terrifies me. Given that the R1 is 390 lb dry (the years I'm looking for anyway; I know the new ones are only 375) I thought the weight might be more comparable to what I'm used to.

Also, I can show you pics on Riggz's R6 where I'm wearing 4-inch heels and STILL can't get my feet on the ground, but on a stock R1, I can get everything except my heels flat.

So now that you know the full debate . . .

EDIT: Let me further add that Riggz says there are no curves where I live. I mostly do short rides of a few hours or back and forth to work. I push MY limits, not the limits of the bike, and I don't show off for anyone. I'm more interested in a smooth throttle than I am how fast the bike can go.

Insurance between the two bikes is a huge $30/yr difference for me, so that's not really an issue.

I just don't see how having a smaller engine bike that I can't put my feet on the ground and I'm afraid of, is better than a larger engine bike that I feel much more comfortable on.
A light bike should never terrify you. I'm not sure how to give you the factual reasons why you needn't be scared, all I know is that bikes don't "tip-over" because they weigh less. It sounds like it's all in your head, you could get on a 250 and feel comfortable with the handling, you just need to trust what you're riding. Maybe your bike's suspension is just old and shitty and that's what makes it feel scary, how many miles does it have?

If you have any doubt about what would fall over first, a heavy bike with alot of power or a lighter bike with less power try watching some roadracing. At one of the tracks I go to the 125 cc bikes are turning close to the same laptimes as I am on a 600. When you consider they weigh half or a third as much as my bike and have nowhere close to the power you realize they're killing bigger bikes in the corners. That's because they can carry more speed and lean angle because of their weight. Or just think whether you would rather take a corner on an 800 lb. Harley or your bike. Point being: more weight is a bad thing. But then again you probably wouldn't even notice the weight difference between an R1 and R6.

Ok, let me point you in a specific direction you need to look, k??

My bike: 430 dry

R1 (at least the year I want to buy): 390 dry

R6 (any year I'd buy) : 357 dry.

Now sure, 33 lbs isn't much, but 73lbs is quite a bit don't you think?? My concern is in the curves I travel, I'm used to having to pull my bike over with me. I'm off the seat and actually slightly pulling on the grips to get the bike over with me. It seems to me I'd be more comfortable with a bike of near the same weight than one of almost 100 lbs lighter.

And just for the record, I'm not doing track days, don't plan on racing, won't be doing the Dragon or anything else if I get the R1. It'll be the small curves and stuff around home and commuting.

PerfectMistake - Sounds like your suspension isn't set up correctly for you. Most Japanese bikes are set out of the box for a ~160-175lb rider. You can also change little things like raising your rear ride height or lowering your forks to get a quicker turn in so you don't feel like you have to pull the bike down into a turn. You can also play with preload and compression setting front and rear to get the handling you want. The weight of the bike doesn't really affect cornering except at extreme lean angles where grip and weight come into play.

As far as fit, the R1 is more narrow in the front part of the seat than the R6 which is why it feels shorter. The seat height for the R1 is 32.9" and the R6 is 32.7" so the R1 is actually taller but the narrow seat makes it feel shorter.

PerfectMistake said:
Now sure, 33 lbs isn't much, but 73lbs is quite a bit don't you think?? My concern is in the curves I travel, I'm used to having to pull my bike over with me. I'm off the seat and actually slightly pulling on the grips to get the bike over with me. It seems to me I'd be more comfortable with a bike of near the same weight than one of almost 100 lbs lighter.
If you want a heavy bike just buy a hayabusa.

If you bought a lighter bike you wouldnt have to lean and hang off as much to turn it like you are now and would acutally be able to go thru the turns faster.

You really havent made a valid point as to why you need a r1 more so than a r6.

If you weighed 250 lbs like me I would say go for it.

Spoolingbyu said:
If you want a heavy bike just buy a hayabusa.

If you bought a lighter bike you wouldnt have to lean and hang off as much to turn it like you are now.

You really havent made a valid point as to why you need a r1 more so than a r6.

If you weighed 250 lbs like me I would say go for it.
I don't want a bike heavier than mine! I'm looking to go lighter than what I currently have, but fear that 100lbs is too much of a jump to make. Plus, why shave the seat and lower the shit out of the R6 so I can get my toes on the ground when I can already get everything but my heels on the ground with a stock R1?

I think the weight would be less of an issue than you think. It may take a little getting used to. The seat height issue I can understand. Is the R1 that much lower than the R6. If you change to a taller rear tire it may change the seat height slightly. The benefit though is quicker steering. Dropping the front slightly may compensate for the ride height.

PerfectMistake said:
I don't want a bike heavier than mine! I'm looking to go lighter than what I currently have, but fear that 100lbs is too much of a jump to make. Plus, why shave the seat and lower the shit out of the R6 so I can get my toes on the ground when I can already get everything but my heels on the ground with a stock R1?
Well 100lb loss in wieght would almost be like jumping from a r6 to a r1 power wise.

Maybe you should try getting the R6 and gaining 100lbs. lol jk, but seriously.

I have this brand new lowering link for a R6 that I won off of here that you are more than welcome to have if you buy a R6.

im not really sure of your skill level perfect mistake...

but if i was you id get an R6 instead of an R1. the reasons you are defining for getting the R1 are not very good at all... im thinkin more or less that you want an R1 because you want an R1... not because of a weight issue (which isnt an issue) or because of a little extra ground clearance. if your good at riding, then ground clearance from a stand still would make no difference at all, as you should be able to support your bike with one foot on the ground on either side and not have to worry about tippy toez.

...just come out and say it... you want an R1 because its an R1...

21 - 40 of 97 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.