R6 Message Net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy just told me he sold his kawi 636 to upgrade to a zx10r. He put 5500 k on it and thats all his riding experience. I personally think this is gonna be a bad idea. What do u guys think?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
depends how responsible your buddy is. plus if it took him six months to put 5500 miles, odds are looking good for him

·
Registered
361 Posts
It always bugs me when people use the word upgrade when buying a 1000. It usually means they don't have enough experience to know that their 600 is still better than they are. I rode 600's for 4 years and then bought an R1. At that point and even now that I ride a 600 on the street and track I know it's still more than capable.

There are good reasons to buy a 1000 but if he just thinks he needs more bike then it will be trouble. Anyone with a brain can ride a 1000 carefully and be fine but too many riders don't quite understand what they have underneath them.

·
Banned
7 Posts
If he has respect for the power then he'll do fine. I love my 6 personally and wouldn't get a 1000, my 6 does her job and i love her for that.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
nothin wrong with gettin a 1000... easier to get around really. less shifting, smoother throttle response etc...

however, i do agree that if he thinks he needs more bike then its prolly a bad idea. my 600 still scares me from time to time. just makes me respect my 1000 that much more.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Nickers03R1 said:
There are good reasons to buy a 1000 but if he just thinks he needs more bike then it will be trouble. Anyone with a brain can ride a 1000 carefully and be fine but too many riders don't quite understand what they have underneath them.
So what would you call a good reason?

·
Registered
361 Posts
If you have the experience to handle them they are more fun to ride. I know 600 riders like to deny that but it's true. The torque, acceleration, power wheelies, spinning the rear, not having to shift. These reasons all made me love riding a 1000. Plus I like the looks of the R1 more than an R6 but that's quite enough reason to buy one, it just helps.

I can't wait until I can afford to race my 636 and buy another R1, I miss it.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I love my 1000 the torque, and acceleration are awesome. Alot of fun when you know what your doing.:thumbup

·
Resident A-Hole
2,459 Posts
how about going from a heavier 600 to an R1 vs. the R6 simply because the R6 is lighter and you might fall over in the turns?

·
Resident A-Hole
2,459 Posts
even better!

·
Ridin' Dirty
1,786 Posts
1000's are awesome bikes, but you def need some more experience to just jump from a 636 to a 1000ccs, especially after riding for only 6 months or so. But to each his own....I would love to have an R1, but I'm just happy with my R6 for now.
In the near future, yeah-I'm planning on getting one, but would probably still keep my 6 and make it track only.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My boy just lives a couple hours out of the city and uses his bike to commute regularly(pretty much a straight line drive). He really shocked me that he already wanted to bump up to the 1000 since its a 05 bike and he hasent even found a road that was been capable of what the bike can handle. I know i will be prayin whenever he takes that bike out without one of the crew members not ridin with him.
Thanks ppl for the input
maybe i might be able to sway him back to a 600(possible 06 r6:p )

·
Registered
361 Posts
PerfectMistake said:
Or because you can actually get your feet on the ground instead of lowering the shit out of the R6??
I've never heard anyone say this before. Are you saying an R1 is a better choice because you can touch the ground with your feet? Are the seat heights even different?

If that's what you meant, that is the absolute worst reason I've ever heard to buy a bike.

riggz said:
how about going from a heavier 600 to an R1 vs. the R6 simply because the R6 is lighter and you might fall over in the turns?
Not sure if the seat height comment or this one made less sense. Are you saying that since the R6 weighs 20 lbs. less than an R1 it just spontaneously falls over while you're riding it? Whatever this meant your bike isn't going to "fall over" in the turns no matter what it weighs.

·
Resident A-Hole
2,459 Posts
Nickers03R1 said:
Not sure if the seat height comment or this one made less sense. Are you saying that since the R6 weighs 20 lbs. less than an R1 it just spontaneously falls over while you're riding it? Whatever this meant your bike isn't going to "fall over" in the turns no matter what it weighs.
thank you. just wanted to hear someone else say it.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
its true tho... haha with the wider wheel base and the lower seat height, its easier to touch the ground hahahahha.

i rode an R6 for a while and then i took it to the track... when i decided i needed a track bike, i bought a new 1000cc for the street and converted the R6 to track... seems llike a good choice thus far... the 1000cc makes a better street bike for me.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I always see post saying that you wouldnt jump from a 600 to a 1000 becuase you only have 6-12 months of riding experience all the time, well I guess I was wondering at about how many miles you believe someone should have under there belt before they make the upgrade to a 1000.

Ive put 9k miles on my bike in the last 8 months that I have owned my bike, yet I have friends that have had their bikes for 3 and 4 years and only have 3k miles under there belt.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I had 25,000 miles in 3 years on R6s when I bought an R1. I was very hesitant because even though I had never crashed and had become a decent rider I still felt like the R6 was fast enough for me. The deal I got on the R1 was too good to pass up and I was very happy with my choice. I took it easy for a couple thousand miles and then was able to really ride it.

If I had to throw out a number I would say like 15-20k minimum before you step up. There are guys who have never had a bike that can get around safely on a 1000 but if you ever want to ride it likes it's supposed to be ridden you should know how to ride first. A 600 is more than enough bike to teach you to ride while not biting you back the way a 1000 can. That's my experience anyway.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.