5 most significant modifications

7K views 63 replies 52 participants last post by  56cbr600rr 
#1 ·
1. new tires
2. aftermarket front rotors
3. front SS brake lines
4. aftermarket brake pads
5. steering damper

What are your top 5 most significant upgrades, starting from the most one.

#13 ·
Id say from a performance perspective (excluding the slip on at #5)

1. Stainless brake lines -Galfer
2. steering damper -Ohlins
3. tires -Michelin Pilot Powers-
4. 520 conversion w/gearing change -DID ERV3/AFAM
5. exhaust -Jardine s/o, not really performance but I had to have it

#16 ·
I think tires are a mod. If you took a bone stock bike of the showroom floor with 208's on there, put some laps on it, then threw pilot powers or diablo corsas on it and did some more laps you would definietly pick up some time.

#17 ·
If tires aren't a mod, then a 520 sprocket conversion isn't a mod...all you're doing is replacing stock parts :myfault

Considering all that's touching the road are two small rubber patches, I'd say tires are one of the most important modifications you can make.

#18 ·
whats the 1/4 turn thorttle?

#19 ·
iv:xx said:
If tires aren't a mod, then a 520 sprocket conversion isn't a mod...all you're doing is replacing stock parts :myfault

Considering all that's touching the road are two small rubber patches, I'd say tires are one of the most important modifications you can make.
You call it a 'mod' if you want... At 3 - 4 sets in ~ 1K miles, I call them consumables...

#20 ·
dsb said:
You call it a 'mod' if you want... At 3 - 4 sets in ~ 1K miles, I call them consumables...
if the tire you switch to and "consume" is a higher performance tire.............its a modification, you seem to be the ONLY one that feels this way, if you wear out a pair of the Dunlop 218s and replace them with 218s then yes you are correct.

#21 ·
Exactly, if you are replacing the 208s with another set of 208s when they wear out, its nothing more than mantainence. If you replace them with a higher performance tire, I'd say you're modifying the bike.

#22 ·
1. Galfer SS brake lines
2. Termignoni Exhaust
3. Puig DB windscreen
4. Home madeFender Eliminator/Integrator
5. Vortex Frame Sliders

#23 ·
:blahblahb What street tire would you say is the best, I have a set of PP's setting in my room and figure to put them on after I finish modded the bike some more-I have bought a 70 series to replace the front 60 series tire and have raised the front fender-actually I made the front fender adj now with washers drilling out the holes a little too much on one side, but I all way s seem to screw up a little, I need to raise the forks to lower the front a little. What tire is better than a PP for the street? I figure to burn up two back tires next year and riding over 5,000 miles,so during these winter months I am setting the bike up as good as i can:2cents Is there much you can do with the stock back shock?

#24 ·
Pilot powers are the best street tire out htere right now imo. I read the other day that the new Dunlop Qualifier is really good too though. I'm probably going to try a set of those sometime next year. You were totally right to lower the front to make up for the 70 series up front, that will make the bike handle great. As far as teh back end is concerned, that is going to depend a lot on your weight and riding style. Have you set your sag? I'd say that should be the first thing you do.

#26 ·
Scott_R6 said:
if the tire you switch to and "consume" is a higher performance tire.............its a modification, you seem to be the ONLY one that feels this way, if you wear out a pair of the Dunlop 218s and replace them with 218s then yes you are correct.
OK, well now that I know the rules...

1. Michelin tires
2. Metal valve stem caps
3. Taped wheel weights
4. Removed warnings stickers from tank
5. Redline synthetic oil

There's 30 seconds of your life you won't get back...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.