R6 Message Net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did my first oil change on my 08 r6 and decided to cut open the filter to take a look at its internals. After looking at the oil filter/oil sticky thread i decided this would be worth my time. Contrary to what that threads link shows for a yamaha filter (i think it shows a 07 and prior filter) this new shorter filter has no bypass spring of any kind! So this means that if your filter were to get clogged or if the oil couldn't flow fast enough through it, your engine would starve of oil! Maybe there is a bypass system of some kind that i don't know about built into the engine or otherwise externally on the bike? I just wanted to get others thoughts on this. I can take pics if needed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are some pics...they were taken with my phone as i am at work. You can see the yamaha filter on the left and an oem honda automotive filter with its bypass spring on the right. The yamaha has no spring of any kind...just more filtration media on the bottom.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Question for ya, I am at 1200 miles on my R6 decided not to do the 600 mile from the dealer cuz I think they rape you for no reason like they did on my 02!!! So I do all my own stuff since that bike but I can't find a filter that will fit. I used to use the Mobil 1 M110 on the old bike but taking the measurements it seem to long because of the shift arm on the 08. Which Filter did you buy and whats the part number? Sorry for the run on appreciate any help

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am having the same issue on my 08. Currently I am using the factory yamaha filters from the dealer with Mobil 1 synthetic oil. I tried a mobil 1 filter, M-103 i think? its small enough but the threads dont match. I think we may have to wait a few months before something comes out.

If anyone knows what fits the 08 please let us know. I am sure this will be come a hot topic soon enough as people start getting 08's and changing oil.

·
GUINNESS®
1,818 Posts
do NOT use car oil in a motorcycle, it does not have the additives to help prevent clutch slippage since the clutch is oiled by the same engine oil.

·
Registered
92 Posts
He might be talking about the Mobil 1 Race Oil designed for bikes that is what I am using think it is called MX4T. It is a full synthetic and I have had no problems with it in the past. As far as car oil, a few years ago just about all of us on this board used Mobil 1 15/50 (Red Cap) which was a car oil and it worked great it was non energy conserving I believe and a full synthetic..No problems with clutch slippage.

But yea as soon as someone comes up with a part number for anything other than stock oil filter please let me know. I was also looking into the Scott's but I am not sure that it will fit under the shift arm. I would like to do this next weekend so please give us some info. I am putting about 100 miles a day on the bike so I should be at about 1800 for the first change, If someone can give me some info. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
i changed my '08 R6S at 600 miles and just went int othe dealership and they had them there. as far as oil, i used the Yamalube R4 (im not too sure if thats what it was, but im pretty sure). maybe next time, i'll pay more attention to that stuff for ya'll to feed off of. got about another 1300 miles before then.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've changed it myself too using the mobil one 4t motorcycle oil. I am currently using the K&N KN-204 filter. Fits perfect and has that nut on there for easy removal. I beleive the mobil one m1-108 filter works too. Both are great designed filters. My concern is this. Just in case anyone doesn't know how a filter works, i will explain it first. Oil comes in the filter at the small holes surrounding the big hole in the filter. It then goes through the filtration media and back to the engine through the larger hole in the middle of the filter. Now, on a normally designed filter when the pressure of the oil gets too high, like under high rpms, the oil pushes on the rubber seal on top of the filtration media, thus pushing the whole media assembly down and bypassing the filtration media. The oil goes straight through the small outside holes and back to the engine through the center hole. So now we have a catch 22. If you stick with the stock filter, will the engine starve of oil at high rpms, because of no bypass spring and no way to get around the filter? Or will putting an aftermarket filter on it with a bypass spring not have enough tension and be constantly bypassing the filter? (normal filter spring tension is anywhere from 12-18 psi) This is why i want to know if yamaha has designed some kind of internal bypass system. I called yamaha and they said contact the dealer techs. Being an acura tech myself, i know no one there is gonna know, much less care about this filter issue. Anyone have a contact e-mail for yamaha?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
i can attest to the performance of the stock Yamaha filters. High rpm?? oh yea.. 5 yamaha race bikes, 7 or 8 motors, none of which EVER had an oiling problem or excessive wear due to filtration problems.
I would NOT use higher viscosity oils like 20/50 or similar. Just use the recomended viscosity of 10-40 or so. You may want to try an EMGO filter (yes, like the AMA race team EMGO M4 Suzuki). That filter is claimed to actually increase hp a tad due to better flow.

·
Two Wheel Whore.
97 Posts
i use the scotts replaceable/cleanable oil filter. used it on my 03 and now on my 07. and use synthetic amsoil oil (after the initial break in period - starting at about 1200 miles).

·
Registered
92 Posts
I finally found a filter I was happy with and knew had a bypass spring (Honda part #15410-MCJ-003). I know it is off a CBR 600R but it works and it has the bypass spring. I was worried about oil flow and a sudden sieze of the motor (call me paranoid). Next time I may try the K&N that rmerchant3 and need2blower recommended.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
i can attest to the performance of the stock Yamaha filters. High rpm?? oh yea.. 5 yamaha race bikes, 7 or 8 motors, none of which EVER had an oiling problem or excessive wear due to filtration problems.
I would NOT use higher viscosity oils like 20/50 or similar. Just use the recomended viscosity of 10-40 or so. You may want to try an EMGO filter (yes, like the AMA race team EMGO M4 Suzuki). That filter is claimed to actually increase hp a tad due to better flow.

quoting myself.. and i will say it again, there is no problem with a stock Yamaha filter.
IF you were to somehow have so much crap in your oil that it would somehow block the flow of oil through the filter media you have MUCH bigger issues to worry about.

·
Registered
2 Posts
quoting myself.. and i will say it again, there is no problem with a stock Yamaha filter.
IF you were to somehow have so much crap in your oil that it would somehow block the flow of oil through the filter media you have MUCH bigger issues to worry about.
If you change your oil when your supose to i guess you would not have to worry about it.I changed mine at the recommened 600 miles and it was full of crap but thats normal with a new bike and engine , it was the same way with my 700R raptor that silver looking tint after that I changed them both again at 800 miles and it looked much better .

·
Registered
137 Posts
I finally found a filter I was happy with and knew had a bypass spring (Honda part #15410-MCJ-003). I know it is off a CBR 600R but it works and it has the bypass spring. I was worried about oil flow and a sudden sieze of the motor (call me paranoid). Next time I may try the K&N that rmerchant3 and need2blower recommended.
That dealer must have some old stock. That part # changed about a year ago to 15410-mfj-d01. The kawasaki is the same as well part# 16097-0004.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you change your oil when your supose to i guess you would not have to worry about it.I changed mine at the recommened 600 miles and it was full of crap but thats normal with a new bike and engine , it was the same way with my 700R raptor that silver looking tint after that I changed them both again at 800 miles and it looked much better .
That is the sole reason for the 600 mile change, to remove machining and casting debris from the engine.

Changing the oil and filter is great if needed, but why not run a better filter ? All the OEM's are the same, the filter, oil and many other items go out for bid, usually every 3 years. You never know who is making them and it is usually low bid that wins.

65% of wear caused by dirt, is caused by particles in the 5-25 Micron Range.

The AMSOIL EA Series Filters are the finest full flow filters on the Planet with a conservative 15 Micron Absolute Efficiency Rating. They also have shown to do a Superior job in the 5-15 Micron Range.

Bob Schultz

1 - 18 of 18 Posts