R6 Message Net banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I started the bike tonight because I'm getting ready to go to Barber this weekend, and I'm having an electrical failure. I have an 06 R6 race bike, supersport engine build, power commander, ohlins, yadda yadda. Anyway, this has never been a street bike, so I only run it at the race track, but between going to the track, I will start it and idle it every now and then. Tonight I started it, and after letting it run for a little bit, the engine light came on. I turned the bike off, then turned it back on and it gave me and error code of 46. I checked the manual, charging system failure - power not normal, ok. I then went into the diagnostic mode and checked code 9. The battery started at 10.5 volts, then kept dropping to 10.4, 10.3, 10.2 and so on (I don't have a normal mulitmeter or voltage meter on hand either). I can't start the bike; it just won't turn over and the here a buzzing noise from the battery when I try to.

Anyway I've been reading about battery, rectifier/regulator, and stator failures on here, but they all seem to be on older model r6's and I can't seem to find any info if this happens on newer r6's a lot - no one is posting about the problem it seems, so it doesn't lead me to think that this one has problems with these components like the older models. I'm going to take it to a dealer tomorrow and see if they have any parts in stock, since I would really, really like to get this fixed before Saturday. I'm also going go get them to check the electrical system and see if it is just the battery or if the rectifier and stator are going, since I don't have the tools to check that myself. I know I've got options, and I've already checked the plug to the rectifier. I looks ok for the most part. It's the plug that has three white wires with a red and a black one. There at the part where the three white wires goes in looks like it's gotten a little singed, but I don't think it has burned any of the wires, so I'll try to clean it out. Suffice it to say, I don't want to get it "fixed" and then have it die on me at 150mph.

Any suggestions? Like I said, I only start it to let it idle every now and then. The last time I rode it was June 2, and I think I've started it to let it idle 5 or 6 times since then. One question I have though, which may point me towards the battery is, at what rpm does the electrical system really start charging the battery? I've read on here that it doesn't really kick in until 5k or 6k rpm's, which I haven't been running it at. Could I have just drained the battery starting and idling it without revving it? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ugh...

Ok, I believe I have it resolved. I took the battery to advanced auto today to get it checked out. They charged it up which took 20-30 min and then ran tests on it. It checked out fine. I bought a multimeter there, and went back home and put the battery back in the bike. With everything turned off and the battery hooked back up, resting voltage was 12.5v or so. After starting the bike and letting it idle for a minute, the volt was then 13.8v at idle. I also tested the impedance on the rectifier, and that seemed to be within tolerance as well. So I think it's fixed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.