R6 Message Net banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
'04 Coil Problem

About a week ago, I noticed that my bike was not running (or sounding) like its usual self...sounded like a twin. After a bit of troubleshooting and referencing this thread, I quickly found the problem (Mitsubishi) coil and replaced it at a cost of approximately $30.
I'm just wondering if there are widespread problems with '04 model year coils as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the same problem with my 03 R6, fortunately coils were only just covered by warranty.
After some investigation, and also after a mate had the same problem, I determined the problem to be a design fault with the main sealing boot not the coils themselves. The boots would protect from the ingress of water in normal operating temps (expansion in the plug void) but would suck in any water during cool down (contraction in the plug Void) from its inner contact point, moisture would then be trapped between the boot and the alloy cover setting off a kind of electrical erosion which would eventually pitt and blow through the rubber and short causing the miss. I originally cleaned all the trapped moisture and made a temporary silicon sealing boot on the failed unit, the other three had clear indications of the erosion but had not blown through, and the bike was back to normal, I noted that the replacement coils covered by warranty were from the same year R1 and had a one piece design incorporating the boot and the main body. Stupid as it seems all Yamaha had to do was replace the boots only, my original coils are still new. this incident occurred at 12,000klms and just 3 weeks before the expiry of the 2 year warranty period.
Best Regards Karl

·
Stonecutter
12,010 Posts
Don't confuse this with a new bike warranty. This is a TSB or a 'recall' if you will.

If you have an 03 with Denso coils, Yamaha will replace them - no charge - regardless of the bike's warranty status.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The reference made to warranty was only relative to my fortunate circumstance of replacement, the explanation of the inherent technical problem with this particular coil design is what was posted as requested from the guy in new york.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had all 4 or mine go out on my 04.... Just replaced them with mitsu's....

·
Registered
30 Posts
sorry for asking a question that is unclear, but under TSB M2003-019, the dealer will replace my coils for no charge, even if the warrenty has expired on my bike.?

·
Stonecutter
12,010 Posts
The dealer is required to replace the Denso coils with the Mitsu's, free of charge, regardless of warranty status.

·
My name is Harry Beaver
653 Posts
Yamaha Of San Antonio refused to change them or give me new ones...Alamo Cycle complex wanted the bike to get serviced by them but i politely told them no...I ended up paying 120 or so dollars out of pocket...

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
SinisterR6 said:
Yamaha Of San Antonio refused to change them or give me new ones...Alamo Cycle complex wanted the bike to get serviced by them but i politely told them no...I ended up paying 120 or so dollars out of pocket...
You should report them to Yamaha.

·
Registered
663 Posts
does anybody here actually have a copy of the tech bulletin? I'm trying to figure out if my VIN # for my '03 qualfies for this. it still has denso plugs. I dont think EVERY 2003 Yamaha R6 with Denso plugs fits the recall but only a certain number of them.
so... anybody know the range numbers of what vin numbers are recalled? thanks!

I just picked up this bike last week and gonna get the front sprocket/washer replaced. any other recalls for the 2003 out there besides that one and the coils??

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just found out that my plugs were burnt when I changed my plugs. Went to the dealer today with all four burnt coils, regi, and bulletin number and they just gave me 4 new coils right there. I didn't even have to explain much they knew what i was talking about and gave me no problem what so ever.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just bought an '03 R6 last year and now it has around 10k miles and these symptoms sound like what I'm experiencing. I can't get ahold of the old owner to see if he ever had this replacement done. If I call a local dealer will they be able to tell me if the bike has been serviced for this problem?

·
AZ 2 AK 2 AZ
205 Posts
Well i am assuming i am having the similar prob, but my bike is an 04 with near 30K on it.... What do new coils run??? And are the 04 Desno cils or different... I know i can look at them, but just wanted to see if anyone else had any insight

NM - i read the other posts... i will go order them from Mr. Cycles....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yeah i have a question on that because i just order some ignition coils last week for my bike i did not recieve them yet but anyway my bike is acting weird it slips in and out of power and sometimes sounds like a harley i let my cousin ride my bike and he returned it like that well anyway i was told that i needed the coils i already changed my sparks plugs so i got some of that power back but now, my bike is startiing to cut off while its idling iam still waiting for my coils but iam just wondering if those were the same problems anyone before changing there coils

·
Registered
948 Posts
yep mine cuts in an out of the power and the idle dies off at lights and such... so much that i had to turn my idle to 2k for now (its my daily ride). Looks like ill order the coils through Mr Cycles or see if anyone around here will match their prices. This has been pissing me off. When i order them do i just order the ones for the 04's? Also my bike had roughly 25k and its an 04.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Tadd this sucks... both our bikes at the same time... wtf?

·
Registered
948 Posts
haha did you get prices on the coils from anywhere local? id rather not order and wait for them

21 - 40 of 45 Posts