R6 Message Net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock 2000 R6 with Amazon muffler.

My bike ran fine yesterday... almost perfect since I bought it this spring.There was a slight hesitation between 7k-10k rpm so I went out and changed the plugs with exactly what was in there before (CR10EK I believe).

After changing the plugs I immediately noticed better idle and throttle response in neutral. However, when I get on the bike, I'm noticing some major hesitation/cutoff around 5k rpm. The bike won't even accelerate, it just kind of dies and comes back. Once in a while i can push through the hesitation in first gear, and it will take off right to the top of first (bit faster with the new plugs i will say) but as soon as i shift to second, the bike falls flat on its face. I also noticed that if I give it a little bit of choke, its easier to keep going, but not nearly as it should be.

I am totally unsure what I did while the tank and intake was off. It was only an hour or so but could the fuel filter be messed? Fuel tap? Did the coils somehow go bad all of a sudden? Did the new plugs open up another issue such as dirty air filter? This makes no sense to me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would go back in and make sure all the coils are fully seated on the plug. The ones on the outside in particular are a pain in the ass to get too with the frame right there so put a little extra mustard on em. It’s also possible you stirred up something in the fuel pump/filter when removing it. Look into changing the filter or replacing the whole pump if it’s and internal filter. Hope that helps some. Good luck bud

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will check my reassembly again today.
I did have my fuel tank complete upside down at one point. Is it possible that something inside got out of place?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I will check my reassembly again today.
I did have my fuel tank complete upside down at one point. Is it possible that something inside got out of place?
It’s definitely possible....I know on my bike the filter is inside the fuel pump and can it be changed without replacing the fuel pump. If you had any trash inside the fuel tank it’s definitely possible something got stuck inside the filter element or in the fuel line itself

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was about to get into the bike, and I noticed that it's got a particularly deeper exhaust note at idle and sounds like its missing. Two things I'm thinking now - either the plug gaps are incorrect (though I thought the CR10EK came pregapped), or I didn't seat the coils properly. I feel like I did, but I will definitely have to check it out. Any other ideas?

I did look inside the fuel tank and it is super clean in there. No debris on the filter elements or anything. External fuel filter looks good too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Those spark plugs are pre gapped. I use the same ones on my bike. Have you ever done a valve adjustment? They would have to be WAY off for your bike to run as bad as you described in the first post...but it’s always good to check out make sure all your clearances are in spec. Timing chain tensioner might need to be adjusted. Your air/fuel ratio could be off. Honestly it could be a lot of different stuff bud. If all else fails take it to your local Yamaha dealer and have the tech run diagnostics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turns out I missed a vacuum/air line on the air box... seems like its running fine now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts