R6 Message Net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Havent been on this forum in quite a while... I sold my r6 a year ago, and recently inherited my brother's r1. The bike is in really great shape, just my brother deff ragged the crap out of it. The second gear is gone, it will shift into second gear and will ride fine, except when you go to apply more torque it pops right out, I got a quote of 1700.00 to fix this problem. A guy I know has a engine for a 2002 r1, which he has no need for, and I can have it for 500.00. I know 02 yamaha went "fi" for the r1, but just curious if anyone knows if the carbs off my bike will bolt up to this motor, and if the motor will mount up to my frame, and if this is even possible? If anyone knows I would be greatly appreciated with the feed back, thanks

·
oh yeah
733 Posts
did they tell you what the problem was with the transmission?

it would be cooler and probably more cost effeective to get an ECU and wiring harness for the EFI motor

·
Registered
6 Posts
I put carbs on an fi R6. You change the mounting boots probably with little modification to the two mounting holes on the flange if the boot. I don’t know the R1 but that was the case for the R6. The sensors from the old engine needed to be swapped. The speed sensor, oil level sensor, coolant temp sensor, pick up coil, and the pick up rotor from under the the right side engine cover. Your old ecu will be satisfied and the engine will run perfect. With the R6 I had to do some very simple mods to the motor mounts and I also changed the valve cover and did a smog delete. Ditch venting the crank case to the intake and plug that hole in the air box. If there are coolant lines to your carbs you don’t need those either, but hook them up if they have a place. I have a more in depth description with pics dealing with the 5EB to 5SL swap you can check out. I followed another guys post and just added to it. He was 100% right, we just went different directions with the motor mounts. But either way there will be a mount in need of change.
good luck, don’t let anyone discourage you! Go for it bro...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts