R6 Message Net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
ARE OH IN IN WHY
1,177 Posts
Check your chain tension...I installed a 520 conversion on mine and had the chain too tight. I added a little slack and the sound went away. the only thing I heard after that was the chain riding on the sprockets. Also make sure you put the front sprocket on right, with the lip facing outwards. As of now, my chain and sprockets are not much noisier than stock which is prolly cause of the rubber damper mentioned before.

·
Registered
138 Posts
cannonball said:
Check your chain tension...I installed a 520 conversion on mine and had the chain too tight. I added a little slack and the sound went away. the only thing I heard after that was the chain riding on the sprockets. Also make sure you put the front sprocket on right, with the lip facing outwards. As of now, my chain and sprockets are not much noisier than stock which is prolly cause of the rubber damper mentioned before.
I called vortex and they said the spacer side should be facing the engine.

·
ARE OH IN IN WHY
1,177 Posts
b111b222 said:
I called vortex and they said the spacer side should be facing the engine.
I read its supposed to face outwards. With the drop in the diameter of the sprockets, why would you want to place the front sprocket furthur out rather than let it line up with the rear sprocket? Don't make too much sense, but if Vortex said it then hold them liable. What year bike is it and what make?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are ya'lls chains loud as hell? Way louder than stock, and it worries me a little. Hopefully this is normal?
the front sprocket is now smaller if you’re doing -1 compared to the OEM sprocket , this changes the angle of the chain. so now the front part of the chain rubs / wears harshly against the upper hard plastic chain runner. this will be the really loud whining nose. the front sprocket will make more noise compared to the OEM which has the rubber damping either side. also obviously too tight would have make it noisy. but i did this conversation last week and the noise is louder than my race can with no baffles which is ridiculous. today i took a look at the chain runner and clearly you can see its contacting / wearing on the front of the upper runner (see pic). so i used a flexible dremel tool to get in there and cut it away. problem solved. (you can even see where the chain lube is gathering due to it contacting harshly and its worn down..) thats explains the very loud whining noise.
Automotive tire Eyelash Wood Tread Automotive design

Automotive exterior Tints and shades Wood Auto part Bumper

1 - 17 of 17 Posts