R6 Message Net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, sorry for the long post. Hopefully somebody can give me some tips

I recently bought an R6 race bike and at the last race I did the bike boiled over and lots of water came out of the overflow bottle and into the belly pan.

Since buying the bike I have noticed it runs quite hot in races, up to 90oC (not sure of the oF equivalent).

I spoke to the previous owner and he says this is ok. The bike does not have a radiator fan, it is fitted with the race wiring harness so I'm not sure if this is why there is no fan as there may not be a connection for it on the race loom.

I have got the bike home now and want to address the problem. I have noticed that the bike warms up very quickly on tick over from cold and the temp keeps rising into the 80's before I turn it off. This makes me think that maybe the thermostat is not opening as the temp keeps rising at quite a fast rate from cold all the way up until I turn the engine off with no decrease in the speed the temp rises.

The radiator also looks in quite poor condition. I have a spare radiator I can try to see if that helps.

I just wondered what the best course of action would be from here. Test the thermostat first or try the other radiator?

The problem is I am not really going to know if I have fixed the issue until I go back to the track as the bike is not road legal to try on the roads and if I just start it up again in my garage the temp is going to rise and rise as there is no airflow and no rad fan to kick in.

Any suggestions guys?

Thanks a lot :)

·
www.frontiercycle.com
165 Posts
Hi guys, sorry for the long post. Hopefully somebody can give me some tips

I recently bought an R6 race bike and at the last race I did the bike boiled over and lots of water came out of the overflow bottle and into the belly pan.

Since buying the bike I have noticed it runs quite hot in races, up to 90oC (not sure of the oF equivalent).

I spoke to the previous owner and he says this is ok. The bike does not have a radiator fan, it is fitted with the race wiring harness so I'm not sure if this is why there is no fan as there may not be a connection for it on the race loom.

I have got the bike home now and want to address the problem. I have noticed that the bike warms up very quickly on tick over from cold and the temp keeps rising into the 80's before I turn it off. This makes me think that maybe the thermostat is not opening as the temp keeps rising at quite a fast rate from cold all the way up until I turn the engine off with no decrease in the speed the temp rises.

The radiator also looks in quite poor condition. I have a spare radiator I can try to see if that helps.

I just wondered what the best course of action would be from here. Test the thermostat first or try the other radiator?

The problem is I am not really going to know if I have fixed the issue until I go back to the track as the bike is not road legal to try on the roads and if I just start it up again in my garage the temp is going to rise and rise as there is no airflow and no rad fan to kick in.

Any suggestions guys?

Thanks a lot :)
90*c is about 194*f. I have personally seen mine(with a fan) go as high as 220*f(around 105*c). I would think it should be a bit lower on the track, as it should have air moving over it rapidly. Either way, i wouldnt be too worried about it unless it gets over 100*c. I think when I am on the highway in the summer, it typically gets to around 80-85*c.

Sorry the reply took so long. If you haven't figured out by now, head over to r6-forum.com and ask there. There are A LOT more people active there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts