R6 Message Net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an amature racer that has not been on the track for years. I am going to put on a 520 chain and sprocket set and I was wondering how many teeth show I put on? I know this has been asked a billion times and it all goes down to the track. I will be racing mostly summit point and VIR. Most people will tell me 15/45 or 46. However, I am sure that these answers are from experts that know how to go fast. Since I am a slow old guy shouldn't I go for a higher rear? Something like a 15/48 so I can have the low end for all of the mistakes I am going to make?

Also since the R6 has a slipper clutch does that mean no need to learn how to blip the throttle and just downshift?

·
Sliding past you!
1,107 Posts
Yes you are correct a 15/48 may be better for you since it has been awhile since you have been on a track and your lap times will be slower. That gearing will work well on both VIR and Summit.

I no longer blip the throttle for downshifts.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Yes you are correct a 15/48 may be better for you since it has been awhile since you have been on a track and your lap times will be slower. That gearing will work well on both VIR and Summit.

I no longer blip the throttle for downshifts.
15/48 on an 06/07r6 at VIR? My guess is you would be totally pinging off the rev limiter way before start/finish. I would have a 16 and a 17 front sprocket on hand to make a quick change if needed.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Youve got to consider the chain length you will end up with because you may find the wheel far enough forward or back in the swingarm that there is no more room to play with doing a quick sprocket change . There is a fine line where once the chain is cut you are limited in your sprocket options . Also consider weather you want to end up with a shorter or longer wheelbase.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts