R6 Message Net banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
'05 YZF-R6SC Case Repair:

Has anyone ever attempted or had success with welding repairs to case damage like this while the engine is in the bike?

I know (out of the bike) to disassemble, clean, remove the broken bolt, build up weld areas, machine, drill & tap, and reassemble would be very labor intensive, and probably not worth repairing the caseswhen compared to the cost of installing new or used ones.

Damage to cases does not appear to extend to the mating surfaces of the upper and lower case halves themselves, but to clean, prep, weld, and resurface (?) the damaged areas wih the engine in the bike would be quite challenging, given the obstructing obstacles, and the possibility of distortion from the crash, as well as the possibility of causing damage to internal components (seals, etc.) caused by the heat. This chamber does have to be sealed to contain oil.

A more cost-effective alternative might be to swap the entire motor.

Any ideas and/or suggestions?
What do you think?

Thanks.

View attachment 57504

View attachment 57507

View attachment 57508 View attachment 57509
It can be done but it is a lot of work. You have to use a TIG ( or mig but it won’t be as clean or easy ) and weld over all the areas of repair. Then sand down the case back to a flat edge. Then re drill out the holes in the exact location. Then tap the holes for the correct bolt size. And that’s about the only option. If any of the tapped holes pull the threads you can use a heli coil or some type of steel insert to hold better. It is not an easy job and not a quick job. You need a skilled welder/fabricator and will prob pay at least a quarter of the price of a new motor. I’ve done it and I’ve seen others done ( a little less damage than yours though ) so it’s a possibility if you got the time and money. A cheaper route would be to just drill and tap all the holes with a steel heli coil, but you’ll prob have to sand some of the rough spots and use a lot of gasket maker to get a good seal. There’s no easy way

·
Registered
4 Posts
Automotive tire Hood Bumper Automotive exterior Fender

here’s an example of a insert I had to use on a stripped thread. The bolt size is a M6 so I bought a M8 drill and tap set, and also a box of inserts ( Amazon $10 )
Wood Gesture Finger Flooring Font

the depth I could drill and tap was not deep enough for the whole insert ( would of drilled through the back of the case and ruined it ). So I took a few of the coils off the insert with a pair of ***** so the coil would sit flush with the case.
Tire Wheel Bicycle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

add some lock tight for the insert and a little gasket maker around the area. It is oil tight

1 - 2 of 2 Posts