R6 Message Net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I finally got a chance to ride my rebuilt salvaged 05 R6 on the track. I only got to ride 60 miles (lots of red flags) but the bike seems to run really well from 9k on. It does have some stuttering happening between 7K and 8K, which I hope, can be cleared up with a PCIII. Anyways onto my question. I took the bike to a suspension guy at the track and he setup my sag and gave me a tip about using a 7mm spacer on the rear which I have read some of you have done. But I am using a set of Woodcraft clipons that mount below the triple clamp and my fork tubes are FLUSH with the triple clamp. He was thinking that I should have kept the stock height above the triple clamp or else the bike will handle like a truck. So should I be using the stock fork tube height? I didn’t think the bike handled all that bad but I am not the fastest guy out there so what do I know. The forks are brand new because I had to replace them during the rebuild. Another thing he mentioned was that on the rebound if you push the forks down when they return to the top they should stop and not fall again. Mine fell after he pushed them down and he mentioned maybe they needed new oil….

He also said that there are a lot of little tricks you can do to make the bike better one thing in the 7mm spacer he didn’t mention any others do you guys know any…..I will run into him again he seems to be out at WISR for every trackday…..

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'll give a partial answer, and add a question. Your forks should NOT be flush with the triple. I also have woodcraft (I'll give you my current measurement later). Its nowhere close to flush. The 7mm spacer in the rear would be for running a 170 series front without dropping the front.

My question, after searching, I saw no post that listed the STOCK spacing from the top fork tube to the top triple. I'd like to check mine compared to stock (I also bought mine used and was told its already set up for the 170 front).

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jlpred said:
I'll give a partial answer, and add a question. Your forks should NOT be flush with the triple. I also have woodcraft (I'll give you my current measurement later). Its nowhere close to flush. The 7mm spacer in the rear would be for running a 170 series front without dropping the front.

My question, after searching, I saw no post that listed the STOCK spacing from the top fork tube to the top triple. I'd like to check mine compared to stock (I also bought mine used and was told its already set up for the 170 front).

He mentioned maybe height was the same as the collar of the stock clipon. :shrug:

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
jlpred said:
I'll give a partial answer, and add a question. Your forks should NOT be flush with the triple. I also have woodcraft (I'll give you my current measurement later). Its nowhere close to flush. The 7mm spacer in the rear would be for running a 170 series front without dropping the front..
You dont have an 05 do you? (psst. and its a 70-series, not a 170)

As far as the original poster goes, how did the bike feel? We can give you all the suggestions in the world, but if the bike doesnt feel good to you it doesnt matter.

I will say that I think 7mm in the rear is a big change, and I will also add that I dont know the stock fork height on an 05. I do know that they lengthened the shock on the 05 compared to previous generations, to compensate for the 70-series tire on the front, stock.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sometimes my fingers work faster than my brain. Espically while trying to surf @ work, yes I meant 70 front :myfault . I was trying to answer:

But I am using a set of Woodcraft clipons that mount below the triple clamp and my fork tubes are FLUSH with the triple clamp.
The triple clamp location determines the geometry, not location of the clipons. You want to keep your triple clamp locations constant, not clipon loaction. My 04 stock stock clipon location is above the triple clamp. I am assumming the 05 is the same. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the 05 clipon location....

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jlpred said:
Sometimes my fingers work faster than my brain. Espically while trying to surf @ work, yes I meant 70 front :myfault . I was trying to answer:

The triple clamp location determines the geometry, not location of the clipons. You want to keep your triple clamp locations constant, not clipon loaction. My 04 stock stock clipon location is above the triple clamp. I am assumming the 05 is the same. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the 05 clipon location....
Yes the 05 clipon location is above the triple clamp....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts