R6 Message Net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last few times i have been out riding my bike randomly dies. Only happens during deceleration like when I am coming to a stop. I just cuts of, I think most of the time I have had the clutch pulled when this happens. Bike only has 4500 miles, temperature outside has been in the 90s, been running at about 180-190 degrees. This has started happening since i changed oils to Mobil one extended performance 15w50. Could it be the oil?

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have been doing some brain storming and here is what i have come up with for potential problems/fixes

-Idling too low and when i pull the clutch the rpms drop too fast and stall it out.
-Someting with the fuel or fuel pump, Possibly too much ethanol?

If i synched the throttle bodies and adjusted the idle, would this help? I dont want to do this unless i know that is the problem just because the tools to do it are pretty expensive.

Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
my bike was running perfect a week ago, with old oil, and and old air filter. i changed the oil and air filter and now its not working what gives.
basically like i stated before the bike turns on right away. while the bike is moving i can shift up and down and the bike wont turn off. but the minute i come up on a light and ive got to downshift into first or neutral, the bike just dies and i have to turn it back on. or i can keep it going but ive got to give it some gas and the bike wont die, but i dont want to pull up on every light or stop sign and have to be giving the bike gas.

any body got any idea what the problem could be.

·
Two Wheel Whore.
97 Posts
i had this EXACT issue. every time i pulled the clutch in the bike would rev down and die.

at first i thought it could have been the TPS (known to get dirty). took it to the dealer about 5 times. they should be able to run a check to see if any errors/codes are stored in your ecu. this can happen and the check engine light (CEL) still wont come on. thats what happened in my case. they couldnt get the problem to replicate itself and then FINALLY checked for codes (what they should have done the FIRST time). although, in the end i just paid for parts and they never charged me for diagnosis so i still take my bike to these guys.

has your bike ever been over/gone down? the previous owner had tipped my 03 R6 over twice. not at speed...both times standing still. turned out that the engine cut sensor (in the tail section) had been damaged. took about 6000 miles of my riding before i ever noticed a problem/had issues. replace the switch (about $45) and it was as good as new.

hope this helps in some way.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Having the same problem and noticed my RPMs at idle are less than 500. Just scheduled a visit to a local garage but if it keeps getting more frequent I may take it to the dealer.

·
Two Wheel Whore.
97 Posts
dealer is obviously the best if they will diagnose for free. be sure to have them check for stored codes in the ecu if they cant find any other problems. low idle symptoms sounds like a TPS (throttle position sensor) maybe. do some searching on this...it may help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
has your bike ever been over/gone down? the previous owner had tipped my 03 R6 over twice. not at speed...both times standing still. turned out that the engine cut sensor (in the tail section) had been damaged. took about 6000 miles of my riding before i ever noticed a problem/had issues. replace the switch (about $45) and it was as good as new.

hope this helps in some way.

How did you figure out it was the engine cut sensor? did it look damaged? what does it look like?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts