R6 Message Net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the shift shaft cover gasket on the left side of the motor.

This pretty high up on the motor, I'm just trying to figure out if I need to drain the oil first? I wouldn't think so since it's up on the motor fairly high.

Most of the oil should be in the pan.

I don't know if a lot of oil can pool behind that cover or not so I'm not really sure how much oil may come out of there.

Questions are:
1) Do I need to drain the oil before removing the cover?
2) How much oil mess can I expect when I remove that cover?
3) When I put on the new gasket do I need to use any kind of sealant on the gasket surface?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

·
Registered
102 Posts
It's so easy to drain the oil that I would say if you're unsure - just do it. Better than having it all over yourself and the bike.

You can expect a decent mess of oil and probably some drip when you remove it.

Clean the gasket surface really well, clean the cover as well, make sure no oil, fibers or anything else in on those parts and use gasket maker on the gasket to seal it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I will drain it if it's necessary. I just changed the oil and at nearly 10 bucks a quart, I rather not replace it for no real reason.

If it needs to be drained then that's cool, but I rather not drain it because I'm unsure.

I'll make sure all surfaces are clean. Any hi temp sealer like RTV will work correct? I don't see anything in the service manual about it needing gasket sealer, but I figured I better ask.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
its not necessary!

i just replaced my shift shaft assembly (say that 5 times fast...) there is no oil that will splurge out on you, just a few drops on the bottom of the casing.

and use some sort of putty knife to get the old gasket off, clean surface is needed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nate,

You were right on! Only a few dribbles came out, no big deal. That saved some coin & time (especially since I have everything safety wired).

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.