R6 Message Net banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya guys,

Just wondering if anyone might have some info about my situation. I just bought a 2003 YZF R6 on wednesday and had to take it to the shop today due to the acceleration sputtering thing (DENSO coils) I keep reading so much about. When I got insurance on the bike it was coming up as a YZF600r. I didn't think much of it at the time, but then I checked the title and it said the same thing under Model.

So anyways I took the bike to M&M motorsports here in Kalamazoo and the guy came out and took a look at the bike and got the VIN off the frame and when he put it into the computer it also came up as a 600r. He manually changed it to an R6 without saying anything to me. The bike is clearly not a 600r by the look of it.

I called Yamaha when I got home this evening to see if they could enlighten me on the situation, and the guy I talked to kept trying the VIN that is on the title and he said he couldn't get it to come up in his computer and that the order looked off. He tried calling the dealer to get some different serial numbers off the bike to double check what the problem is, but they were already closed for the day. He said he'd try them again on Monday and call me back.

When I bought the bike I verified that the VIN matched the title, but failed to notice the Model 600r part. Has anyone else had this problem? I am concerned about it because the TSB specifies R6 and not 600r. I dont want to pay out of pocket for the coil screw up.

The VIN stamped on the frame and listed on the title is: JYA5AHE023A035157

Here is are a few pictures of the bike my wife took the day I got it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will later today. The dealer just called me and said my model doesn't fall under the TSB so they wont touch it unless I pay out of pocket. Just need to wait for my wife to get home so I can go pick it up.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
i always thought that the 600r had more of a skidoo seat (all one flowing seat front to back) and the R6 was separate seats.

thats the most obvious difference. :shrug maybe a mix up at the factory???

also what do you mean the guy at the shop manually changed it to R6 without telling you?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok just got back from the dealer, had to park the bike in the parking lot because I wont be able to pick it up till after they close. I took the camera and took a few more pics.

Nate: when he entered the VIN into his computer it came up as a model 600r. He just tab'd down to that box and changed it to R6 without saying anything. The computer monitor is at an angle so you can see whats on the screen from the customer side of the counter.

When i went down there today they said they wouldn't be able to change the DENSO coils out because it was a 600rr model. So, hopefully someone here might know if they actually made a 600rr, 600r, that looks anything like this before I call yamaha back on monday. Every picture I've seen on the net so far doesn't look anything like my bike.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
another update.....

Took the bike down to Paw Paw Cycle and talked to the service manager. Both he and the advisor came out to look at the bike and tried the VIN again. Its also saying yzf600rr so they cant do the work under the bulletin. But, this time the service manager told me to bring the bike back in on monday and he would call yamaha for me to see if he can get it worked out. He is sure the bike is an r6, but cant figure out why the VIN is showing that.

One thing he did say is that the TSB might be expired (?). If it is or if he cant get the VIN straightened out he said the cost for the new coils + labor would be around $370 ($291 for the coils + 70ish for labor). Do those things expire? Is there a chance that even if I can get all this straightened out I will still have to pay out of pocket?

So anyways at least thats a little progress. The service manager at the other shop didn't offer to help at all, so they lost my business for everything in the future. Guess I'll find out monday what the deal is. Gotta love it when this kinda crap happens on the weekends :banghead

·
Registered
60 Posts
is the VIN stamped anywhere other than the frame?? Perhaps your R6 had been wrecked before and the previous owner got a 600r frame and then put the R6 fairings on it. Is this even possible does anyone know? I'm just trying to think of any scenario.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure, but here are links to the 2 different frames.

yzf600rr
http://www.cmsnl.com/img/frame-yzf600rrrrc-2003-partslist-big-YAU2222C-10.gif

yzf r6
http://www.cmsnl.com/img/frame-yzf-r6rrc-2003-partslist-big-YAU2336C-7.gif

Mine is definately the yzf r6 frame. I can tell due to the large air intake openings in the top front of the frame vs the small circular ones on the 600rr. As well as the upside down triangle ones just to the side of the air intake holes which the 600rr doesn't have at all.

Thanks for the suggestion though! I had to go back out just to double check how the frame looks to be sure hehe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Purchasing a creature of beauty such as an r6 should not be such a endeavor. I honestly feel for you bro as you should be out there enjoying your purchase without concern of such trivial matters. I do hope you get it worked out and I will do as much research as possible on my end in the hopes of shedding some yet unseen light on the subject. Good luck!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another quick update...

Took the bike back down to the dealership in Paw Paw, and told the service manager that yamaha told me they would need to have it looked at by a tech to be sure its really an R6. The service manager came out and looked over the bike again with me and I showed him schematics of the r6 and 600r frames etc... he agrees its an r6 and he called Yamaha and talked to someone about it... they sent him back out to get a number off the engine, but the 3 numbers he found on the back of the engine (under the seat area) weren't the ones they wanted. So he came back out and we both looked for these numbers... still couldn't find the ones they want. The little metal tab on the back of the motor is blank, so he asked if he could keep the bike and take off the plastic to find this number. I agreed of course. The guy from yamaha told him that in his experience this has never happened before.

He also told me the bulletin doesn't expire for the DENSO coils, and that he would get it worked out for me... here's hoping. I asked him to replace the plugs while he was at it cause the bike has been running on 3 cylinders, far right one is cold. He thought it would be a good idea just incase it fouled the plug. So whatever, new coils, new plugs.. should be in business. This happened around 1:30pm EST. I haven't heard back from him as of 8:30pm EST, so hopefully tomorrow he'll have some good news.

At approximately 4pm EST I got a call from Jake, the guy from yamaha I'd been talking to directly. He tried to feed me a line of crap saying that he was told my bike is an r6, but its an older model of the r6 and is considered a 600r. He said the bike is essentially an r6, but its going to be listed as a 600r on the title and stuff. He said there are no bulletins for the VIN.... I told him that was the problem. Thats the wrong VIN!? and who was telling him this info cause they are wrong. I then told him that I took the bike down to the dealership and they were getting it worked out for me and that his answer is unacceptable. He said he would call the dealership and try to figure it out again.

One of the main differences between the 600r and the r6 is the engine. 600r has a 599cc engine while the R6 has the 600cc engine. I think thats what the "other" yamaha guy that the service manager was trying to figure out for me. So, here I am waiting again for this to get straightened out lol...

My wife brought up a good point as well... The bike is insured as a 600r, which has a lower value than the r6. Granted the VIN's match so it would still be covered, but it wont be "covered" if you know what i mean.

so there's the not so quick update hehe.

I'm seriously starting to go crazy about this.

·
GUINNESS®
1,818 Posts
I work at yamaha, I can run your vin for you too to really make sure what its all saying if you like. that 600r crap is BS, your bike is a 2003 YZFR6 not 2003 YZF600R they are feeding you crap it should not come up as a 600r in any aspect of the vehicle or its paperwork, Im in parts and i work on the fiche all daylong.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That would be great! I'm hoping the service manager can get it worked out for me in the next day or so, but I'll take any help I can at this point. I'm tired of the run around.

The vin is posted in the first post in this thread as well as on one of the pictures.

Thanks again!

·
GUINNESS®
1,818 Posts
yamaha made a yzf600R this is what it was in 2003. It has always looked that way they just discontinued it last year in 2007 but it had remained un changed. now they use the R6S as a more beginner sport bike. yours should defiantly not come up as a 600R

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
another update...

Service manager called back today and said that they took the bike apart and couldn't find a model number on the engine. The metal tab thing where its suppose to be was blank. He said he talked to yamaha again about it and they still refuse to do anything till he gets to the bottom of this "mystery". He told me to get in contact with the person i bought it from to try to get more information about the bike and its origin. So, thats what i'm in the process of doing now. Left a message, but he's prolly laughing at me with the $5k in his pocket. Guess we'll see if he will step up and be a man and give me info on the bike.

Yamaha also told the service manager that the bike had been repo'd in the past. Dont know if that has anything to do with whats going on with it, but its something I didn't know about it before. Does anyone have a carfax account that could run the VIN for me by chance?

Thanks all for being supportive btw, cause this is starting to suck even more as the days go on!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts