R6 Message Net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'll cut to the chase. I have an '03 R6. After the bike warms up it's hit or miss as to whether or not the symptoms occur.
But here are the symptoms:
  • Idle gets extremely rough and if throttle is let go in some cases it will simply die (bike struggles to stay alive pretty much)
  • There is a VERY strong smell of gas initially, can sometimes last a while
  • The exhaust can shoot flames very easily (only after releasing throttle though, so I don't think it's backfiring but I'm also inept when it comes to the terminology)
  • The pops it does are can be very quick, and very powerful, moreso than usual, to the point that my parents thought a gunshot went off in the back of the house
  • Power becomes steady above 5k, but prior to that (such as holding the throttle steady at 4k) the bike will sort of go bUMbUMbUM in a slight lurching, inconsistent manner
  • The closer to 5k the more moot the previous point becomes
  • After 5k the problem doesn't exist
  • In some extreme cases I can pull the clutch in while riding and the bike WILL shut off
Fixes I have attempted:
  • Replaced the spark plugs
  • Checked the ignition coils
    • I did a resistance test. Primary was fine and all of them were around 5.1kOhms except for one at 5.6kOhms. This was still within spec.
    • I did the "water evaporating" test on the headers, and the first and last evaporated slowly. I switched the coils and the same pipes remained slow to evaporate. That makes me think either this is normal or it's the wiring subharness?
    • These are not Denso coils
  • Changed the oil
  • Fuel stabilizer
  • Replaced the R/R (I had a code 46 at one point and that was an issue, diode test failed)
  • Checked stator for resistance, continuity, and AC volts; checked fine
Bike facts:
  • Around 41k miles
  • Valve adjustment done at 36k miles
  • Yoshimura Slip-On exhaust
  • Changed the spark plugs
  • A snazzy R6 brake reservoir sock on the front reservoir (I wish this were the problem)
I got this bike used and it started giving this problem around late October/early November IIRC; I got it in September 2019. As for the Yoshi, I got that put on on Sept. 26th if that's relevant.

The problem was never this bad but it has progressively gotten worse. I have provided as much info as possible, but I can also get a video if I check my GoPro footage for it. Any ideas on what it could be? I'm really tight on cash so I'm scared to take it to my mechanic for labor charges.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I'll cut to the chase. I have an '03 R6. After the bike warms up it's hit or miss as to whether or not the symptoms occur.
But here are the symptoms:
  • Idle gets extremely rough and if throttle is let go in some cases it will simply die (bike struggles to stay alive pretty much)
  • There is a VERY strong smell of gas initially, can sometimes last a while
  • The exhaust can shoot flames very easily (only after releasing throttle though, so I don't think it's backfiring but I'm also inept when it comes to the terminology)
  • The pops it does are can be very quick, and very powerful, moreso than usual, to the point that my parents thought a gunshot went off in the back of the house
  • Power becomes steady above 5k, but prior to that (such as holding the throttle steady at 4k) the bike will sort of go bUMbUMbUM in a slight lurching, inconsistent manner
  • The closer to 5k the more moot the previous point becomes
  • After 5k the problem doesn't exist
  • In some extreme cases I can pull the clutch in while riding and the bike WILL shut off
Fixes I have attempted:
  • Replaced the spark plugs
  • Checked the ignition coils
    • I did a resistance test. Primary was fine and all of them were around 5.1kOhms except for one at 5.6kOhms. This was still within spec.
    • I did the "water evaporating" test on the headers, and the first and last evaporated slowly. I switched the coils and the same pipes remained slow to evaporate. That makes me think either this is normal or it's the wiring subharness?
    • These are not Denso coils
  • Changed the oil
  • Fuel stabilizer
  • Replaced the R/R (I had a code 46 at one point and that was an issue, diode test failed)
  • Checked stator for resistance, continuity, and AC volts; checked fine
Bike facts:
  • Around 41k miles
  • Valve adjustment done at 36k miles
  • Yoshimura Slip-On exhaust
  • Changed the spark plugs
  • A snazzy R6 brake reservoir sock on the front reservoir (I wish this were the problem)
I got this bike used and it started giving this problem around late October/early November IIRC; I got it in September 2019. As for the Yoshi, I got that put on on Sept. 26th if that's relevant.

The problem was never this bad but it has progressively gotten worse. I have provided as much info as possible, but I can also get a video if I check my GoPro footage for it. Any ideas on what it could be? I'm really tight on cash so I'm scared to take it to my mechanic for labor charges.
Hi Procxlite,

I had a similar problem with my 03 r6 about 10yrs ago(she is 17yrs old now)
Turned out to be the Throttle Position Sensor - Think it needed cleaning - YouTube is your friend ;) Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Procxlite,

I had a similar problem with my 03 r6 about 10yrs ago(she is 17yrs old now)
Turned out to be the Throttle Position Sensor - Think it needed cleaning - YouTube is your friend ;) Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply! I don't doubt you at all, but before I check this in the morning/afternoon (currently 0238 here) could that really cause that strong smell of gasoline? Thanks again.

EDIT: Forget what I said. I saw this one guy on YouTube whose R6 was shooting flames over this thing. I guess it can for some reason. That's weird I just wonder why. If it's simply a sensor that tells the Throttle Body how much to open/close, it's not like the bodies can do anything physically out of its limits right? i.e. Even if the sensor read that your throttle was closed, it's not like it could be more closed than closed... right? I dunno, maybe I'm overthinking it. I'm just trying to think of the mechanics behind why this would cause the issue instead of just either just making the bike idle slightly lower or just fail to idle entirely. But even then, I could have a throttle closed in neutral. That throttle can't hit negative values and cause the idle to drop in neutral so.. what gives? I'm gonna get some sleep lmao.

EDIT 2: Read a massive amount of information regarding TPS and all my previous questions have been answered. Sleep unneeded I suppose haha.

·
Registered
5 Posts
First check I would do is recheck timing. The smell of gas might mean there is gas in your headers which also would explain why your exhaust is shooting flames and the popping sounds. The other possible thing would be a TPS being faulty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First check I would do is recheck timing. The smell of gas might mean there is gas in your headers which also would explain why your exhaust is shooting flames and the popping sounds. The other possible thing would be a TPS being faulty.
I actually just finished cleaning and adjusting the TPS a bit ago. The previous Diag values were 17-97, which is in spec. However I noticed that even the slightest bit of push/pull to increase the value would cause the EXACT issue that I've had. It would start bogging down, huge smell of gas, lots of popping. So I lowered it to 15-95 even though it's out of spec. It seems to be running well now but I'll probably still order a new one. I'll keep ya'll updated for the sake of anyone else who ever runs into this issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts