R6 Message Net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guy's?
New to this forum and thought I'd ask some questions to people that know their [email protected]#t.............................
I currently have a 2002 red R6
and just got a 2003 Red R6 too.

My 02 has an akrapovic carbon fiber on it and some cosmetics
flush mounts,frame sliders,etc.and Bridgestone Battlax rubber.

The 03 has a Yoshi carbon fiber exhast,frame sliders,
With Brand new Dunlop Qualifiers.

I've noticed the clutch is way shorter on the 03 and the throttle response
is better as well as the yoshi FU#@IN roars compared to my 02.
Not to mention the red backlit gauges look sick at night.

What is the main differences between the two and is my 02 just old n outa tune or is the 03 that much better.

Also can I put the red backlit gauges on my 02 as well?

----PICS----

·
Registered
102 Posts
Your 03 feels better on the thottle because its fuel injected. The actual power difference between the two is negligable, your 02 just needs a little more attention than the 03 to maintain power. Cleaning of the carbs, and a jet kit, v-stack, air filter combo will get you as much if not more power than your 03 (depending on your jet kit and filter).

IMO, they are both awesome machines. I would keep them both :) but if I had to choose, I'm personally a 1st gen person. A 2nd or 3rd gen would have to be a second bike for me.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
same here first gen bike for me. i have ridden my friends second gen and it was good don't get me wrong. maybe i just liked my bike better because of just that, it was my bike.

and brathwka- hasn't it been proven that OEM filter is better for first gen?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Your 03 feels better on the thottle because its fuel injected. The actual power difference between the two is negligable, your 02 just needs a little more attention than the 03 to maintain power. Cleaning of the carbs, and a jet kit, v-stack, air filter combo will get you as much if not more power than your 03 (depending on your jet kit and filter).

IMO, they are both awesome machines. I would keep them both :) but if I had to choose, I'm personally a 1st gen person. A 2nd or 3rd gen would have to be a second bike for me.
well said. i also believe that for 03 they worked on the 2nd gear issue that has been bothering first gen riders and bikes. cosmetically there are only a few differences which are pretty noticeable. you might actually be able to squeeze a touch more power out of the 02 with the correct carb and power commander set up but i could be wrong.

·
Registered
102 Posts
same here first gen bike for me. i have ridden my friends second gen and it was good don't get me wrong. maybe i just liked my bike better because of just that, it was my bike.

and brathwka- hasn't it been proven that OEM filter is better for first gen?
Yeah, I've repeatedly read and heard the same thing. But I found that when I put in my second jet kit and the velocity stacks, my stock air filter was a bottleneck in performance, my performance actually felt like I downgraded to a 500cc. I thought I'd messed up the jet kit and wasn't getting fuel flow. Took it to my friend who sometimes helps me out when I get over my head on my bikes and he immediately said order a new filter - cause I've got too much fuel from the new kit and can't match it with air flow. Got the filter and it was 10x better. Got my performance boost.

I'm sure that with stock carbs and airbox, it would be deficient to have a aftermarket filter, but with the mods I've got, they just didn't play well together.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I thought that my 02 wasn't fuel injected as well but the guy in the shop told me it is and I'm pretty sure I can hear the injectors back n forth that sound they make?

What's the deal with that...
Also The 02 has a choke and the 03 does not?
I'd like to know....

·
Registered
102 Posts
You answered your own question there - the 02 has a choke - because it's carbed, the 03 does not because it regulates its own fuel/air mixture for starts. In any case - there no questions to be had about that - it's simple, 99-02 - carbs, 03 - whenever the R6 line ends, FI.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
you need to find yourself a new shop dude. thats ridiculous. its pretty obvious when you look under the tank.

you nearly proved my case as to why i do ALL my own maintenance work. all the service techs are dumbf*cks

·
Registered
211 Posts
you need to find yourself a new shop dude. thats ridiculous. its pretty obvious when you look under the tank.

you nearly proved my case as to why i do ALL my own maintenance work. all the service techs are dumbf*cks
haha im gonna have to say that the shop dude might want to re read his service manuals.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts