R6 Message Net banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 02 with the 2nd gear pop out issue. My question is:blem?

1- What is the cause of this problem?

2- is it safe to ride if I skip 2nd gear?

3- is there a chance the trans will lock up while riding?

any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
134 Posts
the thing that causes the pop out issue is the shift forks (mainly 2nd and 6th) get bent and wont hold the gear in and then it pops out. is it safe to ride?? that is all about your defination of safe. if it was a cage that poped out of 2nd i would say sure drive it, but since it is a bike it could lock up and cause you to go down. wanting to ride is not worth the chance of hurting yourself or your bike. also there is metal to metal contact which is causing small metal shavings to come off and get into your oil which is not good at all for your motor either. its your call on riding it but i know i fix all issues before the bike is road worthy so that i wont go down for some stupid reason like transmission locking up going down the highway.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
i know guys that have ridden with the issue for years and never had it fixed just dealt with it.

the way i deal with it is i dont accelerate hard in 2nd. look into the warranty thread concerning this issue

ALL OF YOUR QUESTIONS WILL BE ANSWERED THERE.

please use the search function...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.