04 R6 misfire - R6Messagenet.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 R6 misfire

Hey guys so I have an 04 R6, one day just randomly starts to misfire here and there and then a cylinder goes out all together. I replace plugs, coils, and air filter just because I was in there. Bike ran great for about 6-7 miles and then the cylinder went out all over again. So what’s next? I started looking into the fuel injectors but don’t have much experience with them. Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:35 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Significant loss of power, all rpm ranges? If you've changed the plugs, taking the throttle bodies off isn't bad. After the airbox is off you wanna yank the throttle bodies. Unplug the injector wiring connectors and others (one on the right? etc), and hoses and whatnot (take pictures or mark them!).

Chances are that the clamps holding them into the manifold/lower rubber boots will need to be loosened to be able to rock them out (as an assembly). The allen head clamps are at very specific angles, somewhat like this: \ \ / /

A long allen wrench (3 or 4mm, i forget) with the ball type end on it is a lifesaver, will give you a little wiggle room on angle. Once that's out, you have to remove whatever brackets and screws that are in the way of pulling the fuel rail (connected to the injectors) off. Check the inside of each injector, they have a tiny filter in them. If the filter looks clean and white, probably fine, rusty or dirty color, probably not.

You can make a cheap little tool out of a meat injector/syringe, carb cleaner, some tubing, a 9volt battery, and a couple wires, to check operation and clean the injectors (ive saved a couple locked/plugged up ones before). Put connectors on the wires, to plug into each terminal on the injector, use aligator clips on the other side of the wires, connect one to one of the battery terminals, plug the syringe into the inlet of the injector, force carb cleaner thru the syringe, while tapping on and off the other battery terminal, mimicking how a fuel injector would operate. There are good videos that probably explain this way better than me.

You've got a nice bike, 38k on mine, same gen., and after re-shimming the valves, still runs like it's brand new. 😉
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the R6Messagenet.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in