1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 124 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 09:05 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up Engine shutting off

Year: 2003
Miles on bike: 5234
Mods: Integrated tail light, lowered, Black out windscreen
Issue: ok so my bike shut off one day riding dropped down from about 45 mph to 15 and then kicked back on, i thought it was my imagination. Then one day riding with a friend we stopped to stretch and went to get back on and the fuel pump didnt prime. So being lucky and down the road from the house we pushed it home and took the seat off to find a relay. Thinking this was the TPS we unplugged it plugged it back up, the fuel pump kicked on bike started up and ran fine. Everything was fine until the other day riding in rush hour traffic it shut off trying to make my way to the shoulder everything was dead but my lights and display were still on. We messed with the relay and got to my girlfriends where i parked and stayed till the next morning. In the morning it shut off 5 times on my 20 minute ride home. going over bumps really shut it off. Well i finally made it home took about an hour, stripped the back end down. took the relay off to find that one of the prongs was rusted and burnt like it got a bad connection and shorted out. well the other end of the plug was the same way. so i bought a relay off ebay brand new and it fixed one end of the problem now i either got to re route the wire which i found out runs the fuel pump (why the bike is shutting off) or get a whole new wiring harness. GREAT!!! I hate you YAMAHA fix the problem, my suggestion everyone check their relays. could be getting a bad fuel connection shutting it off.
Issue started around: 4000 mi and still going strong hope to get it fixed soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 010.jpg (85.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 016.jpg (141.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 019.jpg (141.1 KB, 13 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 04:15 PM

Year of bike: 2007
Miles on bike: 6800
Any modes: No engine mods
Issue: Shuts off after clutching, sometimes it is so bad that it happens at every other stop light. Never has shut off over bumps or while in gear.
When your issue started: Previous owner had same problem, he cleaned injectors and it helped some, but it is getting worse for me.
Contact info: [email protected]
post #123 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 06:57 PM

have we found any answers yet? i see this thread goes back a few years.

year: 05
miles: 12,000
mods: integrated tail lights, yoshimura slip on
issues: started about 3 weeks ago, engine cut while in 3rd gear as i punched the throttle. electronics were still on, so i pulled over and got her started. drove about 30 miles with no problem. put a new rear tire on that day, and as i was driving home from the shop, she stalled on me numerous times while in gear. i used fuel injector cleaner to no avail. since then, she has died on me about 5 or 6 times, both throttling up, and slowing down in gear, as well as at idle. today i cleaned the air filter, we'll see how that works. i did notice a clicking sound while using the kill switch. i think that may be the problem. i found the box that is making the sound. since i'm no mechanic i'll just post the pics..

post #124 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedman View Post
Year of bike: 2007
Miles on bike: 6800
Any modes: No engine mods
Issue: Shuts off after clutching, sometimes it is so bad that it happens at every other stop light. Never has shut off over bumps or while in gear.
When your issue started: Previous owner had same problem, he cleaned injectors and it helped some, but it is getting worse for me.
Contact info: [email protected]
Figured out what my problem was!!

When I had the bike torn apart to change the plugs I noticed that above the left cylinder in the airbox there was left over gas mist that was thicker than anywhere else in the airbox. After putting the bike back together it still stalled so I knew that the plugs were not part of the solution.

Grabbed some lucas injector cleaner and dumped a small amount in a new tank of 92 octane gas. After a couple of pulls above 10k rpm the bike no longer stalls.

This is not a definitive solution as I highly doubt we all have upper injectors sticking open but it may help someone else out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the R6Messagenet.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in