High idle problem - R6Messagenet.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
High idle problem

99, over 50000 miles

been running fine until the last couple days. When I start her up she runs fine, stop at stop lights on the way to the freeway, idle is fine, ride to work (runs fine), get off the freeway and come to a light and the idle zooms up to over 2-2.5k.

No strange noises, no loss in power. Only happens after riding for a while. I cleaned the air filter last night (it was pretty dirty) but that didn't help. Don't think it's a carb synch issue since it runs fine when I first start her up. Any ideas what could be causing this just out of the blue?

I know I'm overdue for a valve adjustment (last one was around 25k miles), but other than that, everything maint.-wise is up to date. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 10:16 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Damn you have 50k miles on your bike, makes me feel better about my investment. At that rate as long as I dont crash, I will have my r6 for at least 10 more years As far as your Idle probem goes, I have no clue what would cause that. good luck
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 10:24 AM

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I had the same thing, I can't say it is a valve adjustment problem, but after I adjusted my valves on my '99 it when away.

Check your floats in your carbs, that is the other thing I did when I was doing my adjustment.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 10:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to LegendR6 Send a message via Yahoo to LegendR6
Mine was idling high and I just adjusted the idle on my 02 since it has the external knob right above the oil dip stick.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, yeah I think it's time to check the carbs.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 03:08 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Im not sure why, but it seems that a few people have had this problem, and a valve check/adjustement seemed to remedy it. At 25k you really need a valve check.

At 50k it may be time for a good old full carb clean, check floats and re-sync.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 03:31 PM

I had that problem with my FZR, but perhaps for a different reason. Mine had a coolant leak and the motor (when hot) would spin up to keep the water pump spinning faster in order to cool it off. Not sure if that helps, but perhaps worth looking into.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys...I'm gonna change the plugs, synch/clean the carbs, and change the coolant this weekend. I did notice that I do feel a little more hot air coming from the bike, not sure if it's cuz of this issue of if it's just because it's been real hot and dry here lately in socal. But it's been hot earlier this summer too and the bike was running fine so...I'll post up after this weekend and let you know if any of this helps. Thanks again.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 01:53 AM

How did that turn out, im interested?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

Well I changed the plugs and coolant but that's about it. Was gonna do a carb synch but was just feeling too lazy, although I should have since I had the airbox off. Also was thinking about cleaning the carbs, but had really no idea how to pull them out and didn't want to mess w/ it.

Did the plugs and coolant help? So so. Bike still wants to idle high when it's hot but doesn't SEEM as bad as before. Gonna try to have a friend come by this weekend to help w/ the carbs. Meantime, I've adapted my riding a little by coming to almost a complete stop in 2nd gear, *then* pulling the clutch...idle is a little bumpy when I do this but it stays around 1500 or so.

Hopefully I'll have better news after this weekend.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the R6Messagenet.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in