06+ brakes = wooden feel? - R6Messagenet.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Two Wheel Whore.

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to lars
06+ brakes = wooden feel?

i previously had an 03 R6 and recently stepped up to the 07. my 03 had rotors w/ 16k miles and i put on a set of EBC HH pads. LOVED THEM. the lever required very little pressure and the brakes really grabbed nicely. even the stock brakes before were decent.

my 07 has about 1k miles on it and ive noticed that the brakes just dont feel as nice and require a LOT more force to really get them working. doing some reading, i hear that others have complained about this as well. i think (correct me if im wrong) that the master cylinder is set up differently on the newer bikes and didnt know if this was part of the issue. i bought the bike w/ 160 miles on it so am wondering if the first owner glazed the brakes pads or if you guys are experiencing similar issues.

should i go ahead and step up to some new pads? stainless lines? what are your guys' thoughts and opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 11:30 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by lars View Post
i previously had an 03 R6 and recently stepped up to the 07. my 03 had rotors w/ 16k miles and i put on a set of EBC HH pads. LOVED THEM. the lever required very little pressure and the brakes really grabbed nicely. even the stock brakes before were decent.

my 07 has about 1k miles on it and ive noticed that the brakes just dont feel as nice and require a LOT more force to really get them working. doing some reading, i hear that others have complained about this as well. i think (correct me if im wrong) that the master cylinder is set up differently on the newer bikes and didnt know if this was part of the issue. i bought the bike w/ 160 miles on it so am wondering if the first owner glazed the brakes pads or if you guys are experiencing similar issues.

should i go ahead and step up to some new pads? stainless lines? what are your guys' thoughts and opinions?
Don't buy new pads or master .. They are both terrific and I've ran decent lap times on them and they work very well .. It's the lines on the R6 that make the brakes fade out after about 3 laps or so .. I actually prefer the feel of the stock pads over the ebc's (and i like the fact that they slotted the stockers) .. Get some steel lines and bleed the system out correctly and you'll have yourself some solid brakes (and by the way the master on the new R6's are radial) ..
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Two Wheel Whore.

Send a message via Yahoo to lars
awesome. i will start w/ the lines then. thanks a ton for the info! saves me a lot of time and money guessing.

do you have any bleeding suggestions/tips? ive bled car brakes plenty of times but never brakes on a bike.

and i was trying to do some searching online but can you please explain the difference between a radial master cylinder and the master cylinder (not sure what the name is for that type) that came on the older R6. i know that the forks are inverted and the newer ones have radial mounted brakes but didnt know what a radial master cylinder was exactly.

thanks again for the help!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 04:03 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by lars View Post
awesome. i will start w/ the lines then. thanks a ton for the info! saves me a lot of time and money guessing.

do you have any bleeding suggestions/tips? ive bled car brakes plenty of times but never brakes on a bike.

and i was trying to do some searching online but can you please explain the difference between a radial master cylinder and the master cylinder (not sure what the name is for that type) that came on the older R6. i know that the forks are inverted and the newer ones have radial mounted brakes but didnt know what a radial master cylinder was exactly.

thanks again for the help!
It's a gravity bleed and pretty staright forward, just watch for bubbles in the resevoir and from the bleeder line (clear tube you attach to the bleeder screw) .. Also, depending on what lines you use it sometimes helps to take one calliper off that would come before the bridge line and put it lower then the primary line (but you probably won't encounter that with most steel lines you buy becuase they would have and independent line for each calliper connected at the master) ..
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 12:52 PM
squid

the 07 R6 uses a brembo master cylinder. I would recommend bleeding the brakes first. I also would recommend getting some vesrah pads they are awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the R6Messagenet.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in