Problems with 03 R6 - R6Messagenet.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Problems with 03 R6

I went on a group ride today and everything was fine. We stopped several times along the ride and my bike was running normally. At the end of the day my buddy was going fast 100 MPH or more out in the back straights so I follow and kept up. Well my bike was bogging in 6th gear past 8500 rpm. Once I hit 8500 or 9000 rpm the bike just didn't want to pull into the higher rpms. It would but it took a lot lot longer to get into the higher rpms than usual. As soon as I got back to the city I noticed that the bike also had a different sound to it from idle. It now had a sound similar to the rumble on a harley style bike. From a stop the bike would be sluggish up to about 4000 or 5000 rpm and then will magically jump into it's normal self and pull away. I took the bike past 10,000 in both 2nd and 3rd and it seems fine in the higher rpm's in those gears. I'm worried something is wrong with the bike and I need some advice. I also plan on taking it into the shop next week just in case because now the bike is scary to ride. I just put in a -1/+2 sprocket conversion with a new 520 DID chain. I took it on at least 2 or 3 rides since the install and there was no problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 10:15 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
03R6 ... have you had the coils replaced under the TSB?

(if you dont know what I'm talking about, use the search button)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Okay so I need to call Yamaha today. Does it matter if the bike is out of warranty or not. Also how can I tell if it is the coils and not something else. I want to make sure what is wrong before I bring it in.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 05:43 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via MSN to dHanoon6
It was a recall (TSB M2003-019) on the coils so it doesn't matter if you still have warranty or not. check this thread, it has a lot of info n pics:

https://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=60309
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djslik
Okay so I need to call Yamaha today. Does it matter if the bike is out of warranty or not. Also how can I tell if it is the coils and not something else. I want to make sure what is wrong before I bring it in.
Sounds like the coils to me as well. Call your local Yamaha dealer and give them your VIN. They will be able to run the VIN to find out if your bike needs the coils replaced under the TSB (it will be free of charge, doesn't matter if you have a warranty or not). They will probably replace the front sprocket nut for free as well (another TSB).
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 06:27 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
could be simple to maybe just some fouled out plugs that everyonce in a while like you had stated at about 4000 would kick in. my friends bike did the same thing but he had a full yoshi and would shoot flames out quite often. sounded more like a ducati.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 09:02 PM

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
plugs or coils
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 09:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to 03OrlandoR6
If you haven't had the problem taken care of yet make sure that you pitch them a few bucks to do the plugs while they are in there and save you some time.

I had the same problem with my now totaled bike around 2 months ago. Coils took care of everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the R6Messagenet.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in