Well.. its not the coils... :( (03 R6 hesitating, stalling... details inside..) - Page 4 - R6Messagenet.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gaps are fine. Checked them before reinstalling. Oil level looked fine, but we may drain a little just to see. Gonna take it for a test ride now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 08:37 PM

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Sounds like you've been through it all...

here are my thoguhts.

Diagnosis #1 have you done a water header test? Even though you have the new Mitsu coils doesn't mean they are not prone to going bad, I've had 4 of the mitsu's go bad over the 4 R6s I've owned. Spray water on the headers as the bike heats up, they should all heat up at the same rate, if water bubbles on one pipe while the others steam, then that's your prob cyclinder.

From there just determine if it's a coil, plug, or the ignition system itself.

Diagnosis #2 Do you have a keyless ignition on your bike? I made a video a few months ago showing how to do it to track bikes, but many people have had problems because they are not using a switch that is rated high enough and causes the same symptons your describing.

Diagnosis #3 Fuel pump. swap it to find out. find someone with another R6 and barrow their tank. If I happen to be at Jennings the same weekend you could hit me up.
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 08:40 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
is there a way to realign the throttle bodies. i know when we working on my buddy's passat (yes i know its a car.) we had to turn it of to the on with out starting it a bunch. maybe its a long shot.

-dave

post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Hey och.. thanks for the post! No I dont have a keyless ignition.. so x that out..

Like I said we just checked the oil, and it seems to be okay.. its right in the middle of the hash marks, with the bike standing up straight..

We went through the diagnostics and cleared it all out.. I took it for a quick ride and it ran just fine.. of course.. I made sure to run it pretty fast in 2nd and 3rd gear to sorta mimic the speed/RPMs i was going at the track when it started doing it.. it ran and idled just fine.. time and more riding will tell, i suppose.

I ordered a new temp sensor.. as that seemed to be reading incorrectly.. the throttle position was just fine.. it was perfect at idle (at 17), and 2 off at WOT at 95.. I think it calls for 97..?

the only other thing that gave error codes was the TPS.. but thats a $100 part and Id rather try the temp sensor first.. will keep you posted..

Will also try the header thing, och, if the problem persists.. thanks man!
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 08:59 PM
#1 member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
alecia, this is way cheaper than buying the parts seperate. cant beat a whole setup for $32 buy it now. fuel injectors and all,

http://search.ebay.com/r6-throttle-b...oZQQsofocusZbs
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 11:04 PM

The constant in all your posts is the error with the TPS. The 03's have a known problem with this. Mine was doing the same, it was very intermittant, one day running fine next would not stay running unless at high RPM's. Swapping out throttle bodies is not that much, you can pickup compete ones on ebay all day for 50.00-100.00$, (make sure they are not 03's ,duh), You may not make your track day but may fix the problem. I hope the temp sensor fixes it. Good luck.
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 11:11 PM

Stop checking, and replacing things willy nilly. It's not going to be the temp sensor, has no bearing on the ignition.

I am not familiary with the 03 TPS issue, but if others say it's the same symptons I'd go with that unless the water header test shows results. If there was a TSB on it, then Yamaha should cover it.
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 11:15 PM

^ shit, the fuel injectors alone are worth more than that

pssst stop making new threads we'll keep up with the old ones
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ochlocracy
Stop checking, and replacing things willy nilly. It's not going to be the temp sensor, has no bearing on the ignition.

I am not familiary with the 03 TPS issue, but if others say it's the same symptons I'd go with that unless the water header test shows results. If there was a TSB on it, then Yamaha should cover it.
yeah sorry bout the multiple threads. Im an admin on my own forums and used to merging my own shit.. no control here as a 'regular member'.

the temp sensor is a $12 part.. Im not checking and replacing things willy nilly.. we're going through things one at a time... I dont want to buy used throttle bodies off ebay cause what if theirs were all fucked up too?? Id rather buy a new part and know that it works..
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Soo.. the bike runs just fine now... all we did was reset the codes the other day... Nothings been changed yet... wtf... (the TPS and the temp sensor have both been ordered but wont be here til next week or so..)

I ran at 12k RPMs in 3rd gear on the highway for quite awhile.. trying to mimic the conditions at the track where the bike would hesitate... nothing.. couldnt get it to do it again..

Hopefully it'll be fine when we go to the track again in a few weeks...!! but just in case, we're gonna take my new parts that I just ordered....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the R6Messagenet.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in