Chain cleaning and lubing... - R6Messagenet.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Iglar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Chain cleaning and lubing...

I know this has probably been talked about several times on here but i'm getting ready to clean my chain and lube it for the first time since i installed my 520 RK conversion kit with Vortex sprockets...

My question is this, do you guys use WD-40 as your cleaner AND lube? Or do you use another type of chain cleaner and then a different kind of lube after cleaning the chain with the cleaner?

I'm getting ready to buy a "grunge brush." just curious if i should buy some chain cleaner and some lube as well or just buy some WD-40 and the brush and be done with it?

One last thing, if you all use lube, what kind do you prefer? I'm thinking about some Chain Wax?

>B-rizzle<
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 07:03 PM

Yes my first post! In the manual it says to use kerosene only, so thats what I use. I use kerosene to clean heaps of oily things, it works great.

So far I have found a toothbrush to be adequate to clean even the most dirty chains so I haven't bothered buying anything else but I guess one of those multi-sided brushes would make things faster.

As for lube, I am currently using Golden Spectro Total Tac Synthetic Lube which has minimal fling-off as long as you don't put too much on. If I cleaned the chain then I would spread it on by hand (with a glove on) to lightly coat the outer parts of the chain. Then spray one loop around the inside surface. It is rather thick and sticky stuff once it settles down.

Previously I've used Fuchs Titanium Chain Gel which was a super thick, white gel-type stuff. I was kinda tricky to apply because the nozzle makes a wide spray but had minimal fling-off.

Before that I used Elf Moto Chain Lube which was similar to apply as the Golden Spectro (it foams up then settles down) but tended to over oil the chain (also cuz I was more of a noob back then) and flung off a fair bit.

I reckon chain wax is probably better at least for the summer when the roads are clean and not raining. I might try Bel-Ray spray on wax stuff next as I heard its good.
Grinch likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 10:09 PM

another first post!!

I recently went to the local shop, and had a talk with the guys there. They were very helpful. Come to find out that lubing the chain with WD-40 alone is NOT a good thing at all. This is what the previous owner had been doing .

Spray the chain liberally with WD-40, let sit for 5 minutes or so. Take a rag lightly wrap it around the chain while keeping the rag in your palm. Spin the tire so your whipping the chain off with the rag. keep this up, possibly applying another coat of WD-40 and letting it sit, until the chain is clean. let it air out a bit so the WD-40 evaporates somewhat. I went and did a quick ride around the block. I then sprayed chain wax conservatively on the outside of my sprocket where the chain meets with the sprocket. There is no use in lubing the rollers, there's no o-rings on them. The o-rings are on the sides, they need the lube. So spray a dab, rotate, spray, yada yada. This way when you go ride, the force from the rotation around the sprocket causes the oil to be pushed outward, onto the o-rings.

So to answer your question. Clean with WD-40, then apply a long lasting lubricant, such as Maxima chain wax.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 02:42 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
why have you started 2 chain cleaning threads????

here is your other thread..

https://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/r...ng-lubing.html

1989 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10
1998 Honda CR80
1988 Honda CR250
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 06:53 AM

Re:

I bought a can of Motul chain lube and it had some crap on the instructions about only leaving it on for 15 seconds. I thought that can't be good, so I gave it a miss. All I do is lube the thing, the rain and dirt roads usually clean the lube off anyway. Got 42,000 k's out of the first chain and the second chain and sprockets have done about 15,000 k's and I haven't had to adjust it yet. I have only cleaned the chain and wheel once and that was with kerosene.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 02:04 AM

See there are problems with lubricating conventional chains like if we use think lubricants, it can not penetrate into inaccessible crannies but thin lubricants do not last long enough. Now a days in the market there are popular chain lubricants are coming which can be mixed with think oil type lubricant with volatile solvent. These lubricants are easy to apply and because of that only these are the popular.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 06:54 PM
bj1

DuPont Teflon chain saver is the best I have come across it cleans your chain and then stays on your chain to lubricate it as well
It also dries with out being sticky so dirt is less likely to stick to the chain
Here is how well it cleans the chain I used motul factory line normally but here is my first clean and lube with the same can
Before

Now after I spray it on let sit for 5 minutes then spray again it looks like this

Then after a wipe down
It looks like this and is ready to ride you can take it for a quick ride around the block and spray again but it's not needed because the spray is so thin it can get every where

I also just wiped the rim after as well and it cleaned that to
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the R6Messagenet.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in