too much oil? - Page 2 - R6Messagenet.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 11:52 PM
Flowing Free

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You dont have to remove the drain bolt if you need to lower the level some. I used a siphen hand pump once that would fit in the dipstick hole and got a 1/2 to 1 quart out very quick and clean.

1990 300ZX Twin Turbo Highly Modified

2005 Yamaha R6 Slightly Modified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 07:05 PM
2008R6Raven

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaresev View Post
My bike takes barely over 2 quarts to fill, it's a 2008.

Get the service manual and double check for your bike.
Hello mine is a 2008 R6 and it takes 3 quarts give or take a little.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 11:45 AM

~3 quarts is standard

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 02:46 PM
www.frontiercycle.com

Whenever I fill my bike, I pour all three quarts in. I do a lot of wheelies though, and when you do, you pull the oil away from the sump a bit. I would always feel safer with my engine running with a little more oil than it needs as opposed to a little less. Remember, your oil pump will only pull so much. If there is more than enough, it will just draw what it needs. If there isn't enough, it can't pull all it should, and your motor doesn't get enough oil.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 11:16 AM

2.5 qts will put it at the very top of the hatch marks on my 02 r6 ...and that's after being warmed up. 3qts would defenitly be too much (on my bike anyway).
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 06:20 PM

BE CAREFUL, having too much oil in the sump is not a good idea! If you overfill it enough you risk the crankshaft hitting the surface of the oil, and that's bad.

Keep it Polished
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 10:21 PM
www.frontiercycle.com

Ok. So I changed my oil today. I always use a new filter. I drained all the oil. Took of the filter...let the last bit drain out. Then I used maybe an ounce or two as cleanout oil(just enough to get the last old oil to dribble out). Long story short, I poured in 2 quarts, and most of the remainder from that other bottle(cleanout oil bottle...about 30oz left). I poured in close to 24oz of that, and went for a ride. Came home and let the bike sit for a few minutes, and checked the oil level. It was at the bottom on the dipstick. Added the rest of he oil...rode a bit more...checked again. This time, is was about 2mm below the top of the notches on the dipstick. I say to basically run the 3 quarts if you have an 03-05 or the R6s. On the R model, I would run what it says. I don't think that little extra is going to do any harm. But in the end, it is ultimately up to you.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 08:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to volumebikertom
Spec is 2.85 quarts, but putting 3 quarts in wont hurt anything, any more than 3 quarts and you might run into some oil aeration issues.

mmmmmmmmmmsstt aaaaaaaahh
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Amsoil Dealer Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by volumebikertom View Post
Spec is 2.85 quarts, but putting 3 quarts in wont hurt anything, any more than 3 quarts and you might run into some oil aeration issues.
According to the Page I have copied out of Yamaha manuals, it calls for 2.75 qts..

3 is overfilled.... Aeration is caused by an oil not having the proper anti-foaming additives.

Overfilling can cause blown seals and oil consumption..

The proper quantity IS in every manual..

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

Forum members contact us for prices shipped from the closest AMSOIL warehouse. For more info go to www.bestoil4you.com or 1-877-356-6099.

Motorcycle Oil Study: http://www.bestoil4you.com/files/MC_Oil_Study.pdf

Gear Lube Study: http://www.bestoil4you.com/files/g2457GearLube.pdf
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 01:46 PM

I can't say I agree with some, and do with others. In my professional opinion, too much oil is just as bad as too little. It'll hit the crank counterweights causing air bubbles to form in the oil and subsequent air back into the oil system and components - THIS IS BAD. Too low and it can cavitate the pump and even worse air. I think the best oil level is in the middle. Now to check it properly, you must run the bike until pressure builds after it's changed, to fill the filter and nooks and crannies. Then the dipstick is to be unscrewed, wiped and reinserted but NOT SCREWED IN with the bike perfectly level and upright. It's best to check it cold, atleast 10min after running it. This way the oil can drip from the head and crank back into the cases. You'll find that if you check it right away then again after 10min, it can rise as much as 1/2 litre in some vehicles (this info applies to cars as well).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the R6Messagenet.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in