anyone using 0w40? - R6Messagenet.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
anyone using 0w40?

My manual for the 99 r6 says to use 15w40, but I found some 0w40 synthetic I might wanna try out. I've been doing some research on oils and the first number really doesn't mean much as it's just how light the oil is. So in theory wouldn't a 0w40 oil protect more because it's lighter and will run through the engine easier on start up, at running temp it's all the same anyways at 40. I also hear people racing with 0w40 for increase hp and better mileage? Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 09:03 AM
Gossamer has MOJO!!!

Feedback Score: 34 reviews
it could increase hp slightly but oil pressure may drop. I would stick with what the manual says for your climate area

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 10:22 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^+1 the first gen's are so finicky with oil that you are better off sticking with either 10w or 15w.

right now im using 10 weight oil and that has worked for me. no need to use the 0 weight if you are not racing, and the said mileage increase is not noticeable at all.

i have been consistently getting 43-48 mpg with th 10w, and the occasional 30mpg when i ride WOT

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 12:20 AM

Ive been using 0w40 for about a year now since I replaced the trans. I have no complaints, bike shifts great, operating temp is better, easier starts as well. Just went to the track for the first time this past weekend and have no complaints.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 08:02 AM

Same here, I use Mobil1 0w-40 since I start to ride motorbike, excellent.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 03:47 AM
www.frontiercycle.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedogg624 View Post
^+1 the first gen's are so finicky with oil that you are better off sticking with either 10w or 15w.

right now im using 10 weight oil and that has worked for me. no need to use the 0 weight if you are not racing, and the said mileage increase is not noticeable at all.

i have been consistently getting 43-48 mpg with th 10w, and the occasional 30mpg when i ride WOT
i hope you mean you are using something like 10W40...the first number isnt the weight. the first is what the equivalent oil weigh would be in a cold start(the w stands for winter...cold conditions)...the second number is what the weight is at operating temperature. basically, what that means is that the oil will actually thicken up as it gets hotter. in a 10w40, when you start it in the cold, instead of it being a straight 40 weight, it has the viscosity of a 10 weight oil, but then as it gets to operating temperature, it has the viscosity of a 40 weight oil.

10 weight oil would be WAY too thin at operating temperatures.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 10:22 PM
Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Amsoil Dealer Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR6 View Post
My manual for the 99 r6 says to use 15w40, but I found some 0w40 synthetic I might wanna try out. I've been doing some research on oils and the first number really doesn't mean much as it's just how light the oil is. So in theory wouldn't a 0w40 oil protect more because it's lighter and will run through the engine easier on start up, at running temp it's all the same anyways at 40. I also hear people racing with 0w40 for increase hp and better mileage? Any thoughts?
It is a 40 weight at operating temp, 210 degrees and a 0 wgt at 32 degrees f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Deezul View Post
it could increase hp slightly but oil pressure may drop. I would stick with what the manual says for your climate area
No Difference at qperating temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebova2301 View Post
the first number isnt the weight. the first is what the equivalent oil weigh would be in a cold start(the w stands for winter...cold conditions)...the second number is what the weight is at operating temperature. basically, what that means is that the oil will actually thicken up as it gets hotter. in a 10w40, when you start it in the cold, instead of it being a straight 40 weight, it has the viscosity of a 10 weight oil, but then as it gets to operating temperature, it has the viscosity of a 40 weight oil.

Very good...

Bob

Forum members contact us for prices shipped from the closest AMSOIL warehouse. For more info go to www.bestoil4you.com or 1-877-356-6099.

Motorcycle Oil Study: http://www.bestoil4you.com/files/MC_Oil_Study.pdf

Gear Lube Study: http://www.bestoil4you.com/files/g2457GearLube.pdf
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebova2301 View Post
i hope you mean you are using something like 10W40...the first number isnt the weight. the first is what the equivalent oil weigh would be in a cold start(the w stands for winter...cold conditions)...the second number is what the weight is at operating temperature. basically, what that means is that the oil will actually thicken up as it gets hotter. in a 10w40, when you start it in the cold, instead of it being a straight 40 weight, it has the viscosity of a 10 weight oil, but then as it gets to operating temperature, it has the viscosity of a 40 weight oil.

Thanks for making this CLEAR... Most common mistake people make is thinking the first number is the weight.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Amsoil Dealer Group
In all actuallity, it IS the weight (viscosity)of the oil at approximately 32 degrees.

The oil does not thicken to become a 40 weight. It is 2 different test procedures and the hot viscosity is always checked at 210 degrees F.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

Forum members contact us for prices shipped from the closest AMSOIL warehouse. For more info go to www.bestoil4you.com or 1-877-356-6099.

Motorcycle Oil Study: http://www.bestoil4you.com/files/MC_Oil_Study.pdf

Gear Lube Study: http://www.bestoil4you.com/files/g2457GearLube.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the R6Messagenet.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in