New to Yamaha - R6Messagenet.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to Yamaha

Hello All.

I bought my 2nd bike last week. a 2005 R6 with 29K miles on it.

Just now changed the oil, it was chocolate milk, so I was thinking possible Head Gasket issue, but it didnt get hot on the ride home. There was a little hesitation under 4K RPMs when I romped on the throttle in 2nd gear. Seemed smooth on all other gears and very smooth in 6th rolling on.

What else do I need to inspect and look at on this bike? I plan on getting a new chain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 04:38 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have a 2008 R6S that I bought in 2015 from a used dealer (stupid rookie mistake, but what's done is done). Biggest things to check and change are as follow (learn from my experience overhauling this bike over the last year):
- Tires. Make sure they still have plenty of good tread on them (look for the tread markers). Also make sure to inspect for cold or hot tears. Hot tears will looks like long perpendicular streaks coming from the sidewall toward the center, whereas cold tears will lok similar to a horsehoe shape. Both of these are bad and will quickly destroy a good tire (something you don't want happening in the middle of a corner).
- Valve adjustment and timing. You're pretty high in the recommended interval, and it's an older bike, so checking to make sure that this is still within spec will ensure you don't throw a rod at some point in the near future.
- Adjust suspension. Many new riders go in and just crank away on their suspension until it sags the way they think is correct. Unfortunately, they don't usually adjust it correctly which adds a lot of unnecessary pressure to your forks and seals (which frequently blow on sportbikes with bad adjustments). There are some great how-to videos on Youtube for this.
- With the dark oil, I would say the previous never changed much in the way of fluids. Do this! I recommend changing all your main fluids (coolant, brakes, etc.). You can change your fork fluid if you want, but if the suspension sits well after proper adjustment (and doesn't seem to 'stick') to your weight and riding style, you shouldn't have to worry too much until 35-40k (but check the service manual to make sure the interval)
- The chain is always a good piece to replace on an old used bike, but when you do, make sure to inspect your sprockets as well. If the teeth are worn or there is build up on the sprocket, you can quickly wear out a brand new chain.
- Brake pads. These last a substantial amount of time on sportbikes as they are designed for some pretty high levels of wear and tear (high speed stopping). Once you replace the brake fluid, take it out for a ride and give it some good squeezes. If they seem soft, or you hear some squealing when you jam them, it is probably time to replace them.

Overall, these are just your basic used used bike adjustments. Make sure to compare what I am saying to the service manual's suggested intervals, and when in doubt, call a licensed dealership to get their mechanic's opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the R6Messagenet.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.