02 R6 ignition bypass : Yamaha R6 Forum: R6MessageNet : YZF-R6 Forums

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   R6Messagenet.com > Racing > Track day riders and Pro/Am racers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2005, 02:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
yammer62

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
yammer62's Garage
Default 02 R6 ignition bypass

I'm trying to bypass my ignition switch and use the kill switch to turn the bike on and off. Anyone have any diagrams? I ran the ignition switch power supply(red) to the kill switch in(red/white), then ignition switch out(brown/blue) to kill switch out(red/black). That leaves a blue/yellow wire and a blue/black wire. As far as I can tell, these seem to be part of the safety circuit. Should these be jumped together? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
yammer62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2005, 02:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to YamRZ350
YamRZ350's Garage

Jumping them together should work, but I don't have a print in front of me right now. What I know for sure is, The Be/B goes to the CDI and need to be grounded for the bike to run. The ground is usually provided thru the safety switches and diodes.

Also, remember that the kill switch isn't rated for the amp draw you are now putting thru it. That said, I haven't had a problem with mine in 3 seasons, but I carry a spare just in case...
YamRZ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
yammer62

yammer62's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamRZ350
Jumping them together should work, but I don't have a print in front of me right now. What I know for sure is, The Be/B goes to the CDI and need to be grounded for the bike to run. The ground is usually provided thru the safety switches and diodes.

Also, remember that the kill switch isn't rated for the amp draw you are now putting thru it. That said, I haven't had a problem with mine in 3 seasons, but I carry a spare just in case...
Thanks for the info. Does it sound like I routed the ignition to the kill switch correctly? I don't want to reconnect the battery and try until I know for sure. Do you have the same year R6? If so, how did you run yours as far as wire routing? Thanks.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to YamRZ350
YamRZ350's Garage

I did mine differently, and cut out all of the safety relays and diodes along with all of the street stuff. Because I got rid of that stuff, I had provide power to the starter relay differently etc. I also wanted to make sure whatever I did was easy to repair at the track, so I made changes in the harness, so I could just swap out components.

What you did sounds reasonable, but like I said I don't have a print in front of me.

My bike is a 2000, but I think 99-02 wiring 99% the same.
YamRZ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
yammer62

yammer62's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamRZ350
I did mine differently, and cut out all of the safety relays and diodes along with all of the street stuff. Because I got rid of that stuff, I had provide power to the starter relay differently etc. I also wanted to make sure whatever I did was easy to repair at the track, so I made changes in the harness, so I could just swap out components.

What you did sounds reasonable, but like I said I don't have a print in front of me.

My bike is a 2000, but I think 99-02 wiring 99% the same.
Thanks for your help. I'm just going to keep my switch routed the same and junp the other two wires together and see what happens. Wish me luck
Old 08-29-2005, 09:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to gtidrivr Send a message via AIM to gtidrivr
gtidrivr's Garage

Can the rest of us get an update here? I am wanting to do the same thing.

Thanks
gtidrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement