Goin to CornerSpin this Weekend - R6Messagenet.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Captain Awesome

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Goin to CornerSpin this Weekend

I searched this forum and have found nothing posted about it.
Myself and my race buddy (MegaVolt) are signed up and goin to CornerSpin.
Its basically a dirt track cross training for road racers taught by Aaron Stevenson.

I wanted to see if anyone has any feedback or has gone through it and also wanted to open up a thread to let you guys know how it went once we return after this weekend.

WHAT IS CORNERSPIN™ ?
During the 1980’s, “King Kenny” (3 time world champion Kenny Roberts) began training up and coming riders on XR100 mini-bikes to improve and enhance the rider’s skills using bikes just like ours (mini-bikes that have less than 10hp). Riders such as Wayne Rainey (3 time world champion), Eddie Lawson (4 time world champion), John Kosinski (2 time world champion) have all utilized this valuable training. This not much talked about training has been used and is still used by current riders such as the Hayden brothers, the Bostrom brothers, Colin Edwards, Tony Elias and yes, even Valentino Rossi! How do you think all of these guys learned to slide a bike so well? The drills and techniques we use translate directly to all types of riding and all areas of riding: balance, throttle control, body positioning, traction, weight bias, peg weighting, vison and references, just to name a few points. All of these elements combine to make you a better rider no matter what type of riding you do. Street riders will find that they have a greater sense of awareness of their skills and improvement in their riding. Racers will find that and much much more. The training we do at Cornerspin™ is not new but new to most riders. Call it the best kept secret of the pros.

All the details are here if anyone is interested in reading further.

http://www.cornerspeed.net/news.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Deezul
why do you think we always invite you...nothing funnier then a 6'4 SN sliding down the track at 100mph

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 05:25 PM
Track day dreamer

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
I've seend ads for that school before, sounds interesting. Let us know how it goes!

'04 Blue ("Sara")

"The object of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other poor bastard die for his." -- Gen. George S. Patton

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 07:32 PM
Sliding past you!

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Yo Dink Check out this Link http://youtube.com/watch?v=GIa_szhJic8
A buddy of mine went there 2 years ago and he said it was a blast, he learned so much and was dragging his handle bars by the end of the day.

I wish I can ride my XR 100 as well as these guys.

Bart D.
Team Pro-Motion Coach #54 WERA Expert #54
2006 WERA Champion: C Supersport , C SuperBike, B Supersport.

Semper FI 0351

Need track Bodywork? PM me for the BEST prices on Factory Bodyworks. www.factorybodyworks.com

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 11:38 PM

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFran R6 R1
A buddy of mine went there 2 years ago and he said it was a blast, he learned so much and was dragging his handle bars by the end of the day.

What about sliding like that on right hand turns? I know they are using their brake but do they do that too?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 11:54 PM
Track day dreamer

^^ WOW! I had no idea you could do that with a bike... Lay it completely on it's side in a slide, then pick it up and go, all in one smooth motion. Impressive.

'04 Blue ("Sara")

"The object of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other poor bastard die for his." -- Gen. George S. Patton

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Captain Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFran R6 R1

That looks like FUN!!!
I cant wait.

Quote:
why do you think we always invite you...nothing funnier then a 6'4 SN sliding down the track at 100mph

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 05:10 PM
Gossamer has MOJO!!!

Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CephasGT
^^ WOW! I had no idea you could do that with a bike... Lay it completely on it's side in a slide, then pick it up and go, all in one smooth motion. Impressive.
remember that is on the dirt at a much slower speed then you ride your street bike though

freaking sick vid none the less
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 05:11 PM
Track day dreamer

Sure, and those are rather small, light bikes, but it's still damn impressive.

'04 Blue ("Sara")

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 05:39 PM
Hi , How are ya

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Looks like your going to have fun, g/l

You All Laugh Because I Am Different, I Laugh Because You're All The Same.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Captain Awesome

WOW.
That was a brutally exhausting eye opening experience.

I think I have hit 2 personal records for one weekend.
1 - I have NEVER been this sore after 1 weekend
2 - I have NEVER learned so much applicable to racing in 1 weekend

Brian and I trucked down friday night, stayed at a local Hotel and got to the site around 8:30 on Saturday.

Aaron Stevenson and a handful of instructors were already there just prepping the bikes. They has a couple Suzuki 125's, a couple Yamaha 125's, and a few Honda XR100's.

All said and done there were 6 people in the class (6 is the max + 2 available spots if you have your own bike) and there were 6 instructors and 6 students. Can't get much better than that. Some of which had 10+ Grand national championships, some with some VERY successful flat tracking career, others that were cornerspeed instructors to begin with that learned from the others.
Keep in mind this course is $500 for 2 days!

Once the track was prepped we started out on a circle that had some elevation and changes in camber.
We started out saturday just learning the bikes and testing out the boundaries of traction. Getting our dirt riding form down and the proper techniques was key to get comfy with the bike.

That was when we started introducing the overall encompassing theme of "Gaining control by giving up control"
Something that so many of us have an issue with.

The beauty of the flat track (and they have an endlessly reconfigureable course) is you may be only going 10-20 miles an hour but it feels SO much faster and you can practice things that directly transfer to street riding whether you are an avid street rider just looking for more comfort and control or a racer lookin to get that extra edge on the competition without being recklessly wild on the track.

By the end of the first day we were working feet up, backing it in working on form etc etc...
I think if there was a ground magnet award I would have won it. I am kinda always lookin to push the envelope as that is how I learn things the best...from my mistakes...
Sometimes slightly painful mistakes.

Well after the first day I had already learned QUITE a bit.
We called it a day at around 5pm. That made for a solid 6 hours on a the track accounting for lunch and small breaks) HOLY CRAP that shit is exhausting.

1600 mg of Advil and 16 hours later...Got to the track limping along on my torqued up knee and got back abourd my trusty XR100 steed... Which I may add took quite a beating from me and impressed the hell out of me with how it never faltered. (Well except for when I snapped the kick stand and had to rest it on barrels and trees for the better part of 2 days )

Starting into Sunday we reinforced the items we learned through saturday.
Backing in. Feet up.
And then put it all together with Peg weighting on turn exit, body positioning etc etc.

And for the better part of post-Lunch Sunday we just ran a few different configurations of the full track. Stopping every 15 minutes to either reconfigure to capitalize on certain turns or to simply switch directions to give one leg a little rest and to COMPLETELY screw up our ingrained knowledge of certain turns with changing track conditions.

Once Aaron sends out the pics he took for us as well as possibly some helmet cam footage he got I'll post it up.

All in all I am sore as shit today limping along, wearing a knee brace...

But OH MY GOD I cannot wait to apply what I learned this past weekend on the track. I am already lookin for an XR100 to take to a local dirt track just to keep practicing! NEVER did I think that such a small bike could make SUCH a difference in comfort level on the track! But I already know it will have made a HUGE difference in my riding style and comfort in sliding around.

But apparently these things are the favorites of some of the top GP riders and AMA riders just to go out and fine tune on.

I honestly can say that this CornerSpin school is likely to make a bigger difference in my riding that CornerSpeed did. We shall see how "More CornerSpeed" measures up come the end of March.

I give this course

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the R6Messagenet.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.